This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Windows 10 - AV indicates WSReputation.1 virus for Kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scottg
Registered Member
Greetings ,
I am trying to install Kdenlive 16.12.1 for Windows 10 (64b) and continue to get flags from my Norton AV that every .dll file included is not safe and moved to Quarantined etc.

I have downloaded from three various mirrors, all listed on the Kden download page and each has been verified for MD5 etc. successfully
After downloading the zip, I scan with multiple AVs, extract and re-run AV checks and all come back clean.

After a few minutes, Norton AV starts indicating that 'xxxxxx.dll' is not safe and removed to quarantine etc.
Norton indicates threat name: WS.Reputation.1 for each xxxx.dll file quarantined.

The last mirror I downloaded the zip from was :
http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/softw ... .1-w64.zip

Can anyone verify what is happening? I am assuming Norton is indicating false positives but for every .dll file?
alcinos
Registered Member
Hi,

Could you give the name of the DLLs that get flagged ?

Thanks in advance
scottg
Registered Member
I will have to check the AV log and get back to be specific.
There were a lot of notifications and I believe they all were sourced from the root of the extracted zip file.

At this point I am inclined to believe every .dll file was being reported as WS-Reputation1.
I will say it had to be at least a majority of the .dll's being reported if not all of them etc.

Thanks!
jontenn
Registered Member
Windows also reports the Trojan Win32/Spursint.F!cl being distributed withthe kdenlive folder.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Where did you download Kdenlive from? KDE servers or weird redistributor?
False positives virus detections have already been reported...
I cross-build the windows binaries from a safe linux box, I would be very surprised to deliver infected files!

It is true that eg DBus & KIO low-level systems may look like suspect programs to heuristic detectors, but they are needed by KDE platform...
Romer
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:Where did you download Kdenlive from? KDE servers or weird redistributor?
False positives virus detections have already been reported...
I cross-build the windows binaries from a safe linux box, I would be very surprised to deliver infected files!

It is true that eg DBus & KIO low-level systems may look like suspect programs to heuristic detectors, but they are needed by KDE platform...

Hello. I'm having the same problem. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and my anti-virus is Avast. I downloaded the 7-zip file straight from the main page, I got there from the wikipedia article. Both the engine and the definitions for Avast are up to date.

The first time I run the kdenlive.exe file the program will start, the antivirus will warn of a suspicious file, and then it blocks it. If I try to run kdenlive again, it doesn't start. The file that seems to cause the problem is dbus-daemon.exe
crodgers
Registered Member
These are ALL false positives - If you downloaded Kdenlive from https://kdenlive.org/ - you are safe.
bartoloni
OS
i can confirm that.. just false positives... looked on online scanners.. and just some found the dll as a threat.. ( generic... ) that is just some header scan...