This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Multicam editing in Kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pludimas
Registered Member

Multicam editing in Kdenlive

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 am
Hello!
Is Kdenlive support multicam editing?
I need sync videos from two cameras. How I can do this?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Multicam editing in Kdenlive

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 am
Hello,
Multicam editing is on our todo list for long.
For the next 3 months we are focusing on rewrite of the timeline code, which should bring many robustness improvements and advanced editing tools; then should come audio mixer and then maybe multicam :)
So be patient and try to achieve your goal with the current inappropriate workflow...
Good luck!
zekthedeadcow
Registered Member

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 am
I do multicam by making sure each camera has a good audio reference during the shoot and then during the edit putting each camera (up to 4) into it's own track. The one with the best audio (usually the center wide that would be next to the sound board) I right click on and 'set audio reference'. When it's done processing I right click on the others to 'align audio to reference'.

Then in the project monitor I click on the options icon (pancake menu) and enable the option for multitrack view. You should then be able to see each of the 4 tracks on the screen.

Then I just play the tracks and use the cut and trim tool to remove the tracks I don't want until I have only one track that is viewable.

For some reason if more than 4 video tracks exist in the timeline then multicam viewing doesn't work at all... but for my purposes 4 cameras is usually enough - center wide, center close, stage left, and stage right. inserts from power point presentations get added as needed... most of my shoots with power point are 1 or two camera anyways... 4 camera is done for theater.

Last edited by zekthedeadcow on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pludimas
Registered Member

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am
Thank you!
I'll be waiting, hopefully not long :)
cefnhoile
Registered Member

Mon May 07, 2018 12:05 pm
Worth noting;

I was previously experiencing the same, with 6 tracks, the MultiTrack view just silently failed, showing only the rendered video, and not the tiled view of all the tracks. That was even when there were only actually 4 tracks with video (two of them were unoccupied).

However, if you choose 'Disable Video' from the left column until you only have 4 remaining live video streams, the MultiTrack view comes to life again, even if you actually have 6 (or more?) tracks, so long as all but 4 of them are disabled.