This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Which laptop? Ubuntu 16.04 + Kdenlive + 4K or 1080p?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
johannka
Registered Member
Hi guys -

I would need recommendations which laptop to buy. I would run Ubuntu 16.04.

I'm thinking of buying the latest Dell XPS 15", 4K UHD, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SDD.

Preferably, I would like to edit 4K videos but could also move to 1080p.

Would be great if you could share your experiences or recommend some laptops.

Regards,
J
capslock
Registered Member
OS
The higher the CPU speed, the shorter the render times. If you do not want to play 3D games, you may want to get one without dedicated graphics adapter and use the well supported Intel on board GPU. Any notebook, even desktop, will most probably still need proxy files when editing 1080p or 4K when it comes to transitions or effects.

I prefer Clevo barebones. They are sold around the world by different dealers in the web. They are configurable in CPU, RAM, HDD, burning device and more. And you can get them without OS. If I had to buy a notebook today I would configure it like this: intel I5-7600T (2,8-3,7 GHz, 4 Cores, 4 threads), 1080p IPS display, 16 GB memory, onboard intel HD630 graphics and 500 GB SSD. In Germany this would cost around 1100 Euros. But I am still happy with my four year old i7-3632QM with intel HD4000 on board graphics and 8 GB RAM. The system above would render about 25% faster. But as I render rarely, I am still happy.
johannka
Registered Member
Thank very much, capslock. That was a helpful answer. I couldn't manage to find a 4 (physical) core computer but my new setup will be:

Some standard display: 1900 x something
i7: 7500
RAM: 32 GB - 2400MHZ
HDD 1: 1 TB Samsung SSD
HDD 2: 2 TB SHCD (for storing)
Some standard graphics: Intel HD 1.7 GB

Incl. VAT and shipping I paid about 1260 GBP.