This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cursor on timeline doesn't move

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DeMus
Registered Member

Cursor on timeline doesn't move

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:46 pm
Hi,
I use Kdenlive 16.12.3 on Manjaro Linux 17.0 KDE and this is what's happening:

On the picture you see a small part of the timeline. When I use the mouse wheel the little grey line, which is now just below the minutes in 00:00:20:00, moves with every notch of the mouse wheel. The vertical line with the downwards pointing arrow however remains at its place. That's the one which points to the place in the video I like to see in the preview screen.
Because the line doesn't move I can't insert clips, or, in general, work with the program anymore.
I can reset it by removing the kdenliverc file in my home folder but then I loose all my settings, not something I like to do every time this happens.
Anyone an idea what causes this and what I can do about it to not happening again?

Thanks.

[EDI]} Situation has changed for the worst. I now can not use Kdenlive anymore since the cursor absolutely does not move anymore. Whatever I do or try, it stays where it is making the program useless.
I did not have this with previous versions so it must be something new. On the other hand, I saw a but report which said that also previous versions had this.
No idea what is going on.
Anyone an idea how to solve this?
Thanks.
lawrencelile
Registered Member

Re: Cursor on timeline doesn't move

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 am
I've got the same issue on Ubuntu 16.04 - no cursor at all. I can pick a spot ont he timeline, but playback stubbornly continues where it was previously - can't cut, etc.

I'll come back here if I find a fix, so far nothing.

[EDIT] removed Kdenlive, which had been installed from Ubuntu distros, reinstalled by activating kdenlive PPAs:

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kdenlive

This installed kdenlive version 16.12.3, which still has the issue. I am running ubuntu 16.04, Nvidia driver 340.12, X server 11.0, Quadro NVS 290 video card

So far no joy. Finding references to this issue as far back as 2015 with no fixes. [EDIT] cannot locate a bug in kdenlive's bug list under the keyword "cursor". Possibly they use jargon and it is called something else? Also searched on "playhead" found nothing. The product is essentially useless if this can't be fixed. I've posted it as bug 378897.
DeMus
Registered Member

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm
Hi, I installed version 17.04.0 from the Arch AUR repositories. Last night it was great, everything worked including the cursor on the time line.
Wanted to continue on my movie this evening but after 2 mouse clicks the program just crashes, not once but every time I do something with it.
If there would be another program which would have the same possibilities I would change but this weekend I tried Cinelerra, Openshot and Pitivi and didn't like either one of them. Kdenlive is a great program if it just worked. But I fear KDE still has a long way to go.
farid
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am
I use kdenlive-git from AUR as my daily driver and it works great. Do you have MOVIT enabled?

DeMus
Registered Member

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm
farid wrote:I use kdenlive-git from AUR as my daily driver and it works great. Do you have MOVIT enabled?

Yes, movit is installed. I'm now back to 16.12.3 and last night no problems what so ever. So very strange. Will see this evening how it behaves.
farid
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 pm
movit causes many crashes, careful! it is beta!

DeMus
Registered Member

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm
farid wrote:movit causes many crashes, careful! it is beta!

Do I need movit to run Kdenlive, or is it just necessary when I switch on the GPU rendering? Something I do not use since I noticed the whole system became instable.
farid
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm
MOVIT is just for GPU rendering, disable in the settings and you'll be fine.

DeMus
Registered Member

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 am
I now have Kdenlive 17.04.3 and the situation did not change. Is anyone else having the same problem and did you find a solution?
At the moment the program is unusable because of this problem.
Can somebody please have a look at it?
Thank you.

[EDIT] Version 17.11.70 has the same problem. Only after deleting the ~/.config/kdenliverc file it is working for a while, but I loose all my personal settings that way.
I can't be the only one having this problem, can I? I mean I have it in different versions, with different OS'es.
kalegood
Registered Member

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 am
I have this problem on Arch Linux with the AppImage. However, I don't recall having it with the official Arch package (however, I have a ton of other problems with it).
jherring
Registered Member

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:30 pm
I had the same problem with the timeline cursor. It's a bug - bug report and work-around is in this thread:

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=150569
jherring
Registered Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am
I installed a fresh MLT update today and it may have solved the problem. This new update fixed my missing GPU acceleration, and in addition, it *SEEMS* I can re-enable multi-threading and the pointer is no longer stuck! I'll have to use it a bit more but it looks good so far.

Upgraded mlt-1:6.4.1-9.fc27.x86_64 @unitedrpms
Upgrade 1:6.6.0-1.fc27.x86_64 @unitedrpms
Upgraded mlt-freeworld-1:6.4.1-9.fc27.x86_64 @unitedrpms
Upgrade 1:6.6.0-1.fc27.x86_64 @unitedrpms