This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Masking effect

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hunzelbunzel
Registered Member

Masking effect

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm
Hi guys,

I saw a YT tutorial (https://youtu.be/BiZ0DpQoqto) for a "simple" masking effect for Adobe Premiere.
Is this kind of effect possible with kdenlive? Which effect would I use?

I am using kdenlive since a year now but couldn't figure out this one until now.

Thanks in advance!
elav
Registered Member
OS

Re: Masking effect

Tue May 02, 2017 1:47 pm
It seems to me that KDEnlive has no choice when you have not been answered. :'( :'(
alcinos
Registered Member

Tue May 02, 2017 4:14 pm
Here is a quick way to do this:
  • Add the title clip in the top video
  • Add the video clip in the track below
  • Add Transition "Affine" between the two
  • Add an effect on the title clip to create a mask
If you want predefined shapes, you can use the effect "Alpha Shapes" (in alpha operations). That will give you basic geometric object (square, circle,... ) that you can move around.
For something more precise, you can use the "Rotoscoping" effect. When it is applied, you can draw the mask directly onto the project monitor.
For that, create a keyframe with the + button in the rotoscoping parameters (you may need to right clic on the project's monitor first)
Then, toggle the button "show edit mode" (square icon on the right of the volume icon below the monitor). You can then clic on the monitor to start drawing a shape. When finished, right-clic to close the shape.
You can add more keyframes to make your mask animated.

Good luck
ADepic
Registered Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:01 pm
Rotoscoping
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... otoscoping

You can adjust rotoscoping frame by frame