This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Select range of clips

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
unicode
Registered Member

Select range of clips

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:11 pm
I'm editing a video in Kdenlive. After I cut out stuff, there are holes (parts with no video nor audio with video and audio to the left and to the right where the parts to the left and to the right should be concatenated) which need to be removed.

There seems to be a feature for removing those holes as there is a context menu entry called `Remove Space` when right-clicking empty space in a timeline.

However, it always displays the error message
Cannot remove space in a track with a group

because I grouped my clips and it apparently can't remove space automatically if groups are used.

There is exactly the same amount of space on all tracks which have any content at this point on the timeline as I cut out part of a group.

The only way I see to close such a gap is to select all clips to the right of it and move them to the left. This is very cumbersome there are dozens of clips or groups of clips to right and I don't see how I can select many clips or groups of clips at once.

How I currently go about it is to click the first clip to the right of the gap, then hold down the control key, and then click every single other clip on all tracks. This not only is very cumbersome but it also yields the problem that if I miss any clip, I have to start over again, as I can't move my selection in this case and finding the clip that's not selected is virtually impossible.

Is there an easy way to close such a gap? Possibly by selecting a range of clips? So that I only have to click some part of the time line and then another part of it and it automatically selects all clips in that range? Or this thing file browsers commonly allow you to do where you draw a rectangle around the items you want to select:

I use Kdenlive 15.12.3 on Ubuntu 16.04. As of this writing (2017-06-05), this is the newest version in the official Ubuntu 16.04 software repositories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already posted this question on StackExchange a few hours ago: https://video.stackexchange.com/questio ... n-kdenlive
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Re: Select range of clips

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:14 am
Hold the shift key and then select the clips in the timeline as you do in the filemanager above.
snurfel
Registered Member

Re: Select range of clips

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am
It seems that you want a ripple delete: cut a piece of entire timeline and move left everything to the right of the cut. I've just started using kdenlive as an experiment and I'm not an expert, but I've found a way to do this: select In and Out of your cut region (I and O keys, or I- -| icons in the preview area, then press Shift+X.