This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive 17.04.1 Render crashes with AVStream.codec error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
marcozambi
Registered Member
OS
Hello everybody,
I'm running Kdenlive 17.04.1on Ubuntu 17.04 and when I try to render my project, after a few seconds milt crashes with the following error log:
[webm @ 0x7f8b080c6ce0] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
It looks that this happens as soon as I set a simple Dissolve transaction in my timeline...
Any hint about how to pinpoint or fix the cause?
Thanks in advance!

Tomas M.
Registered Member
OS
Same on Windows platform.
ladyunicornejg
Registered Member
OS
Same trying to render mp4

EDIT/UPDATE: It would appear to be the video effects leading to this problem (potentially all of them. I had to remove chromakeys and saturation from a video to get it to render). It is also not specific to Kdenlive 17.04.1 as it occurs when reverted back tot he Kubuntu repository. Further researching seems to point to it being a warning from ffmpeg.

UPDATE 2

A fix/workaround (for me at least): Disable GPU Support.

HOW:
Code: Select all
Save (if necessary) the project
Go into
Settings -> Configure Kdenlive -> Playback -> Unceck "use GPU processing (movit library) - restart kdenlive to apply"
Hit OK or Apply
Allow Reset
Open Project
Allow Conversion

It appears the GPU effects are causing the error. The above converts them to a different form that appears to work. I'm currently rendering the file and will check to be sure after. Specifically, what it changed on mine was movit.overlay.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
We apparently have a problem with GPU effects + MLT multithreading.
If you either disable GPU or set MLT threads to 1 (not encoder threads in render dialog, but processing threads in Kdenlive preferences) then it works.
I believe there is a property in the filters description files that we should update to tell MLT that this filter/transition is not thread-safe, we should update that... ("mutable"?)
gabrielgambetta
Registered Member
I'm also experiencing this bug, on 17.12.0 - with GPU disabled, and processing threads set to 1 :(

Any other workaround suggestions?
prawns
Registered Member
OS
Bump.

I just had similar problem, with a twist:
- all my settings and preferences were exactly as per all suggestions in this thread (and other threads on the internet). Nothing worked.
- all the sudden, without any packages downgrade or - ineed - any action whatsoever, everything works.

As far as I'm concerned, the problem remains unresolved for me, because until I've found what caused this issue this time, I can NOT be sure that it won't repeat.

Worth noting that I've got only 7 GB of SSD remaining, however that is according to filelight and disk partitioner. According to some KDE module or daemon, I'm still receiving desktop notifications that the disk is running out of space. Let's assume that that is the case, and I am running out of space - would that contribute to this particular kdenlive problem (mlt/ffmpeg/kdenlive)?

Thanks in advance.
maratmkhitaryan
Registered Member
I do not have the 'use GPU processing' checkbox :(
albertdi
Registered Member
disabling GPU-Processing worked for me - thanks for that hint! kdenlive 18.04.2, Debian testing

Greets, Albert
fsckdsk
Registered Member
prawns wrote:Worth noting that I've got only 7 GB of SSD remaining.

Does that affect anything?

I have 110GB free on the used computer.
mrnobody
Registered Member
hello i would just like to add i am experiencing a similar error in Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS when trying to render to gif format

error:
Formats with a palette require a minimum alignment of 4
[swscaler @ 0x7f4e0c204fc0] Warning: data is not aligned! This can lead to a speed loss
[gif @ 0x7f4e18000f00] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
[swscaler @ 0x7f4e18005960] One of the input parameters to sws_scale() is NULL, please check the calling code
Padded Streamer
Registered Member
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=388822

This bug was reported already and has been confirmed as being fixed. I had to do some digging myself in order to troubleshoot this error.

Basically, just swap "acodec=vorbis" with "acodec=libvorbis" and Kdenlive will run without error. I'm using 18.08.0 with MLT 6.11.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. I was able to successfully render a webm video using this method.

But... "removing vcodec=libvpx" AND instead ot removing "acodec=vorbis", replace it by "acodec=libvorbis" (as stated in 388503 and 388696), becoming... miracle!!! Rendering is OK (audio and video).
fsckdsk
Registered Member
Padded Streamer wrote:https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=388822

This bug was reported already and has been confirmed as being fixed. I had to do some digging myself in order to troubleshoot this error.

Basically, just swap "acodec=vorbis" with "acodec=libvorbis" and Kdenlive will run without error. I'm using 18.08.0 with MLT 6.11.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. I was able to successfully render a webm video using this method.

But... "removing vcodec=libvpx" AND instead ot removing "acodec=vorbis", replace it by "acodec=libvorbis" (as stated in 388503 and 388696), becoming... miracle!!! Rendering is OK (audio and video).

Actually, the codecpar issue happens because of some exotic video elements, not audio at all.
DBreak
Registered Member
I fixed this problem by unchecking "parallel processing"
michaldybczak
Registered Member
The issue still exists in 09-2020 (Manjaro Testing), but I was able to work around it by changing my mp4 rendering profile from acodec=aac to acodec=libvorbis.
jhutch
Registered Member
How do you change to acodec=libvorbis? The box of text in the upper right of rendering profile doesnt seem editable...

I have the same issue as described above using 5K gopro footage at 29.97fps in my profile settings. Tried messing with GPU and thread count as suggested which just makes Kdenlive 20.04.3 virtually unusable for me. Also getting error: nonstandard framerate 29/1.

I thought this was due to a rotation effect on one clip so I edited it in a separate project, rendered, and put in place of potentially conflicting clip.