This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panasonic GH5 & Kdenlive, 10-bit colors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dusanhanus
Registered Member
Hello,
I wanted to improve my videos, so bought a GH5. Unfortunately in my current workflow with Kdenlive there are some minor problems:

1. Proxy clip colors
There is sometimes a difference in colors of proxy clip and original clip in the preview monitor, so it is uneasy to make exact color adjustments. It is even more painful if you first notice after a lengthy rendering...

2. Long time before rendering
Rendering a 5 min clip takes 30 minutes, but it takes another 10 minutes before the rendering starts.
Rendering few seconds portion from that clip takes a minute, but it still takes another 10 minutes before the rendering starts. This is really annoying.
Can someone explain to me why does it take so long before the rendering starts? Is there anything to avoid that? (working with UHD resolution, project is FullHD)

3. 10-bit
From what I understand Kdenlive does not work well with 10-bit color depth.
Is it planned? Because I think more people would benefit from this feature. And I don't think all the effects need to be upgraded right away. Actually only a few could help a lot (At least for me) - LUT, bezier curves and maybe lift/gamma/gain?. (Ok, transitions too - composite&transform and dissolve maybe :) ). GH4 and GH5 (and a lot of other cameras) offer a Log color profile, so that makes it even more needed as the colors are squashed to less color space.

Actually even if the you only have 8-bit UltraHD capable camera, it can be converted down to 10bit FullHD, so a lot people could benefit.

4. color filters cache
It would be absolutely superb If there was a feature that could automatically combine color filters (that change only colors, not geometry) into one that could be way quicker --- it could automatically create a LUT transform for each clip/filters set and apply only that (It could be internally done via HALD color image - ie. on filter change a HALD image is thrown to filter chain and the result is then applyied as LUT).
(Edit: Maybe it could be done as a filter that would have other effects as a childs and a button to refresh? Can filter group have such powers?)

Thanks anyone for any answers!
snurfel
Registered Member
Hi,
These are open bugs/wishes for kdenlive:

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicks ... 3Akdenlive

The proper way of wishing for something is probably by entering it in that list, after having checked that it is not already entered in the database.

BTW, I really hope there are more than just 2 people working on this project.