This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Remove Space On Timeline Track (keyboard shortcut)

Tags: timeline, kdenlive timeline, kdenlive timeline, kdenlive
(comma "," separated)
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

I am trying to optimize my process of editing videos. I do a lot of cutting and removing empty spaces. I just

My process is to use only keyboard shortcuts, because I don't like the injuries you get from using the mouse too much. :-)

Using kdenlive 17.04.1.

1) Select clip with "+" keyboard shortcut.
2) "shift + r" to cut.
3) Select the clip I want to delete "+".
4) "del" to delete.
5) Custom shortcut to remove the space "ctrl + shift + r"

Imagine if you could delete the selected clip including the empty space with "shift + del" or "ctrl + del". :-O

If I use the shortcut to remove the space (not using the mouse), I get a dialogue where I need to select a track. And the funny thing is that the selected track in the dialogue is the corresponding audio track, and not the video track. Anyone have any suggestions of why this is happening or is it a bug for the bug tracker?

Here is a couple of images illustrating the concept. It looks like someone accidentally switched around the selection of audio versus video, or am I doing something worng?

http://grn.dk/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_full_size/public/image-gallery/remove-space-dialogue-1.jpg?itok=TDbPzp1-
http://grn.dk/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_full_size/public/image-gallery/remove-space-dialogue-2.jpg?itok=YVbg6M_a

Any comments, improvements, or optimizations to my process to remove empty spaces is also very welcome.

Thanks!

/Greg, GrN.dk

/Plantsugar Ⓥegan youtube.

Vegan Consultancy Services , Linux backend servers, R-project, Logistics, Data Conversion, Drupal Websites and Upgrade to Drupal 9, Excel/VBA.
snurfel
Registered Member
The common name for such action is ripple delete. in kdenlive ripple editing seems to be an afterthought and is not implemented well at this point. But it works, here's how I do that: use mark in/out (I and O) then press Shift+X (don't remember kdenlive name for this action). You cut pieces of the entire timeline synchronously this way: it can have several video/audio tracks, everything moves in sync. Also you can remove pieces of longer clips and split them in multiple subclips.

In my experience with kdenlive though, this action can ruin a timeline. Be careful and save often. There is a bug with very similar symptoms logged here:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369585

And according to the developers, it is about to be fixed soon-ish.
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
Great, thanks for the tip regarding the ripple delete!

it actually works. But I don't really like that you need to mark the input and output.

It would be amazing, if the in/out somehow could be marked for the current selected clip. :-O

And I guess the remove space dialogue is bogus also.

Vegan Consultancy Services , Linux backend servers, R-project, Logistics, Data Conversion, Drupal Websites and Upgrade to Drupal 9, Excel/VBA.
snurfel
Registered Member
In most editors (yeah I know, weaselish) you have 1) Split, which splits the clip, or all clips, in two at the point in time; 2) Trim, which splits and deletes the part before or after (can be dynamic) and 3) Ripple delete, where you select a clip or a group of clips, delete it and the gap closes, moving everything to the right of it in sync. Regular delete is of course also possible and is often necessary when working on complex cuts.

With I/O/Shift+X the main difference is that you operate on the timeline and not on clips. For me it also feels completely unnatural, even though it makes certain sense: we operate on the timeline as a whole, not on individual clips.
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
OK, thanks for the in depth explanation.
I actually can do some quick work with the i+o+shift-x, but I find it a bit buggy on some video projects. Then I go back to the remove clip method which is also buggy but works. :-)