This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Windows - Render Poor Quality

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joshs
Registered Member

Windows - Render Poor Quality

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:38 pm
When I render a video, the quality is absolute garbage. A video that should be about 2.5GB is only 50MB. I've googled this and found that people fixed this by disabling proxy clips, but I don't have a clue on how to disable this. I've looked through the different menus and I feel like I've seen it all. Anything that says "Proxy" is unchecked. So, there must be a proxy setting somewhere that I don't know about.

Can anyone give me a hand? thanks in advance!
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Windows - Render Poor Quality

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 pm
hello,
is your project profile the right resolution?
in the render dialog, which export format do you use?
if the quality slider is available, do you set it near maximum?
joshs
Registered Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:13 pm
Project is the right resolution (I believe it is at least!) HD 1080p 59.94 fps is what I have in my project settings. I have selected MP4-H256 (HEVC) under Ultra-High Definition (4k) in the render settings, and I've moved the quality bar all the way to the right. I have tried "Video" at 15 and also above 15.

I also tried "MP4 - the dominating format (H264/AAC)" under Generic when rendering. Same issue, very pixelated quality.
joshs
Registered Member

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:19 pm
Is there a physical location for proxy data, that I could try manually deleting?
marcoka
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:46 pm
Did you activate the checkbox in the render settings that says "use proxy clisp for rendering"? if you do that he will use the proxy clips to render the video
joshs
Registered Member

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 pm
Nope. Check box is unchecked.
joshs
Registered Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 pm
Is there a place I can report this bug??
crodgers
Registered Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 pm
Greetings Josh.

I believe I may have a solution for you. First off; I find that the built-in presets aren't really adequate for my needs, so I create my own preset with different parameters. I find that it's generally better to specify a bitrate than it is to use the preset quality settings. I'm using 720P for my projects, but I created a preset that should work for you - provided that you are going for 1080P. I'll explain the settings below. Here's a link to an image of the preset I created:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... keiq7b.png

Start by clicking on "Render" near the top, then highlight "MP4 - the dominating format (H264/AAC)." Now you can create a custom profile. The numbers (of course) refer to the picture above.

1. Click to create a new profile and the window on the left will pop up.

2. Give the profile a name (I used TEMP). Now enter the following in the "Parameters" box:

properties=x264-medium f=mp4 vcodec=libx264 acodec=aac pass=%passes vb=%bitrate+'k' ab=%audiobitrate+'k'

3. Enter the bitrates as shown (they are in Kbits; so 20000 = 20000Kbps or 20Mbps). You can change them at any time if you need to, I just chose numbers that I think will work for you. Click "OK."

*note: The box won't be called "Bitrates" until you click "OK" and then re-open this preset (just double-click on the preset name). Also, don't bother to enter anything in the "Default bitrate" boxes - they don't work.

4. The "Quality" slider here kinda' takes the place of the "Default bitrate" boxes, but doesn't really work exactly like I think it should. Just remember that when the slider is all the way to the right, it will use the highest bitrates that you specified in step 3.

5. Check the "2 pass" box. The parameter "pass=%passes" that was entered in step 2 allows you to check that box.

I always check the "Export audio" box just to make sure the audio works fine. Scanning = Auto should be fine. The "Encoder speed" slider should be fine where it is. It's a good idea to do a short test render using the "Selected zone" box so you can check the video quality.

Anyway, please give the above a try. My projects (720P) come out looking good and I'm only using 8Mbps, so 20Mbps should work for 1080P.

I hope that helps.
ttguy
OS

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 pm
Check out the doco on customised render profiles https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... Parameters