This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot run Kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sandyg
Registered Member

Cannot run Kdenlive

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 am
I'm running a 64bit Windows 10 OS
On installing the Kdenlive programme as instructed, I find that my anti virus system picks up that the "dbus-daemon.exe" is a virus threat and then corrects this problem. I'm worried if I bypass this .exe file I may introduce a threat to my computer
On trying to start up Kdenlive.exe, nothing happens. Will not load
Any suggestions?
crodgers
Registered Member

Re: Cannot run Kdenlive

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 pm
That file is safe and it's required for Kdenlive to work. Your anti-virus (Avast?) is generating a false positive. You'll need to restore that file and create an exception for it (or disable your anti-virus when running Kdenlive).
sandyg
Registered Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 am
crodgers wrote:That file is safe and it's required for Kdenlive to work. Your anti-virus (Avast?) is generating a false positive. You'll need to restore that file and create an exception for it (or disable your anti-virus when running Kdenlive).

Tried that, but then when I try and run it, an error box appears saying Welcome to Kdenlive 17.04.0 Using MLT 6.5.0

Also in the box are notices indicating that Breeze icons are missing as well as codecs and certain apps.

Seems too complicated to try and resolve.

Have just deleted all the folders and feel rather upset because it sounded that it was such an easy install

Oh well, will just have to find another Movie editor.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 am
Breeze icons missing is just a wrong message on Windows, it should not appear anymore in next release.
Some codecs are missing because of legal issues (MP4 to be hyper safe), but you always have the free Webm codecs that can be read everywhere (windows, linux, mac, youtube...).
Your simple install should be ok for general use.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Re: Cannot run Kdenlive  Topic is solved

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 pm
Seems you downloaded an old version for windows. The instructions should be updated.
First, you need THE actual Kdenlive program: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/Kdenlive-17.04.2-w64.7z.
You can get Kdenlive here (pick one that ends in .7z):

https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/

There isn't an installation for Kdenlive - you simply unzip it to wherever you would like. You double-click on kdenlive.exe in that folder and the program starts.
If you need the codecs for full FFmpeg binaries, follow the instruction on download page for windows “Installation (requires FFmpeg download):“ and copy all mentioned files into folder “Kdenlive-17.04.2”. https://kdenlive.org/download/
There is currently a bug in the Windows version of Kdenlive; so that if you crash or close the program, it keeps running in the background.

After close Kdenlive; press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open the task manager. Look for the following entries in the list:

kdenlive.exe <-- there may be more than one
kioslave.exe
dbus-daemon.exe

Highlight each one and press the DEL key or click on 'End Task' to stop each process. Now, you should be able to run Kdenlive again.

I run Kdenlive on Win7 and Win10. On Win10 the timeline runs even smoother than on Win7.
crodgers
Registered Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:15 pm
sandyg wrote:
crodgers wrote:That file is safe and it's required for Kdenlive to work. Your anti-virus (Avast?) is generating a false positive. You'll need to restore that file and create an exception for it (or disable your anti-virus when running Kdenlive).

Tried that, but then when I try and run it, an error box appears saying Welcome to Kdenlive 17.04.0 Using MLT 6.5.0

Also in the box are notices indicating that Breeze icons are missing as well as codecs and certain apps.

Have just deleted all the folders and feel rather upset because it sounded that it was such an easy install

That is normal on Windows. Kdenlive will still run fine. Make sure to follow the instructions regarding FFmpeg on the Kdenlive download page.

Yes, it still needs some work, but I've been testing it out and it works almost as well as the Linux version (I'm using version 9.10 in KXStudio).
sandyg
Registered Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 pm
crodgers wrote:
sandyg wrote:

That is normal on Windows. Kdenlive will still run fine. Make sure to follow the instructions regarding FFmpeg on the Kdenlive download page.

Yes, it still needs some work, but I've been testing it out and it works almost as well as the Linux version (I'm using version 9.10 in KXStudio).

What I noticed when I tried again is that all of the files that should be copied from the "Bin" of the FFmpeg folder to the Kdenlive folder are earlier versions than those already in the Kdenlive folder. Surely those files have been modified and thus one should only use the newer version of those files.

Any idea when a seamless version will be released for Windows 10
sandyg
Registered Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm
Merlimau wrote:Seems you downloaded an old version for windows. The instructions should be updated.
First, you need THE actual Kdenlive program: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/Kdenlive-17.04.2-w64.7z.
You can get Kdenlive here (pick one that ends in .7z):

https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/

There isn't an installation for Kdenlive - you simply unzip it to wherever you would like. You double-click on kdenlive.exe in that folder and the program starts.
If you need the codecs for full FFmpeg binaries, follow the instruction on download page for windows “Installation (requires FFmpeg download):“ and copy all mentioned files into folder “Kdenlive-17.04.2”. https://kdenlive.org/download/
There is currently a bug in the Windows version of Kdenlive; so that if you crash or close the program, it keeps running in the background.

After close Kdenlive; press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open the task manager. Look for the following entries in the list:

kdenlive.exe <-- there may be more than one
kioslave.exe
dbus-daemon.exe

Highlight each one and press the DEL key or click on 'End Task' to stop each process. Now, you should be able to run Kdenlive again.

I run Kdenlive on Win7 and Win10. On Win10 the timeline runs even smoother than on Win7.

Seems like that did the trick! In other words, don't follow instructions on the download page!
Thanks a lot.
Will give any negative feedback if that occurs
crodgers
Registered Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm
What I noticed when I tried again is that all of the files that should be copied from the "Bin" of the FFmpeg folder to the Kdenlive folder are earlier versions than those already in the Kdenlive folder. Surely those files have been modified and thus one should only use the newer version of those files.

Actually, you still need to copy the files over in order to have full H.264 functionality. Some render profile settings won't work otherwise.