This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Making GoPro Mountainbike POV footage look sharp

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
EagleOfFreedom
Registered Member
OS
Hi folks,

I started recording some footage of me riding my hometrails with my GoPro. Now I want to make it look pretty sharp in Kdenlive.
So if you got any tips, render profiles, settings, GoPro Protune setting to help me with that, I´d be super happy.
FYI here are my Protune settings right now (Hero 5 Black)

superview
video stabilization

Color: flat (for color correction and grading)
whitebalance: native (also done in postproduction)
ISO: 400
shutter: auto
EV comp: -1.5
sharp: low
audio: off

should I use sharpen in kdenlive? I tried it and the result was worse than without the effect.
Any hints for processing footage with quick movement?

Thanks for your help

Hendrik
remerson
Registered Member
Cardinal rule of signal processing: If it's not in the data, you can't find it later. In video: if it's not in the raw footage, you can't find it later.

What frame rate for your raw footage? 30 fps? If so, you're already out of luck. 60 fps is the minimum for fast action. 30 fps is just too blurry or streaked at high speed (roughly faster than jogging)

Try shooting 1080p @ 60 fps if you can't get 60 fps at a higher resolution. The reduced blurring, etc. will make the image look crisper than streaked 2K.

As to rescuing what you shot, you can try tweaking contrast and brightness to enhance what you have. Keep in mind, though, you'll also enhance the blurs and streaks and stuff you don't want. If it's not in the raw footage, you can't find it later.

When you're dead, you don't know it, and it's a problem for everybody else. It's like being stupid...
EagleOfFreedom
Registered Member
OS
remerson wrote:Cardinal rule of signal processing: If it's not in the data, you can't find it later. In video: if it's not in the raw footage, you can't find it later.

What frame rate for your raw footage? 30 fps? If so, you're already out of luck. 60 fps is the minimum for fast action. 30 fps is just too blurry or streaked at high speed (roughly faster than jogging)

Try shooting 1080p @ 60 fps if you can't get 60 fps at a higher resolution. The reduced blurring, etc. will make the image look crisper than streaked 2K.

As to rescuing what you shot, you can try tweaking contrast and brightness to enhance what you have. Keep in mind, though, you'll also enhance the blurs and streaks and stuff you don't want. If it's not in the raw footage, you can't find it later.

Thanks for your reply, i´ll try that.
Think I´ll set up the camera to 2,7k 60fps with a fov of wide with image stabilization.
While rendering, are 1440p60 frames ok or should I go with aframe rate of 30 in the edited footage?
Also, is there a nice Render profile for uploading your edits to YouTube with the least amount of quality loss visible?
remerson
Registered Member
Stay with 60 (or 59.94 - this is a common rate) fps. At 30 fps you're throwing away half of your video - not good.

This sample was shot at 1080p @ 60 fps. It was then transcoded to 4K@60 fps, and then uploaded to YouTube. I think you'll like the image quality.
Sample video

When you're dead, you don't know it, and it's a problem for everybody else. It's like being stupid...
EagleOfFreedom
Registered Member
OS
Wow, pretty good job. The footage looks stunning and smooth.
I was wondering how big your 4k60 file was. Also, does transcoding 1080p to 4k better the image quality?
Thanks a lot

Hendrik
remerson
Registered Member
Thanks! I'm happy to hear your comments on the video.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent ratio between the original 1080p and new 4K 1080p files. At the moment, I've got 4K versions of some material that runs for 9 minutes. The files are about 5.5 Gb each.

Transcoding does not sharpen or otherwise improve your raw footage. "If it's not in the (raw footage), it's not going to show up later." What transcoding does, in this case, is a) minimize data loss (a simple transfer from a loss-less format to a compressed. lossy format means lost data), and b) it limits the damage done by YouTube. They compress videos to, I assume, save on storage space/cost. Whatever the reason, they can really make a mess of video that wasn't great, but was usable (1080 @ 30 fps, for example - see any of my earlier videos for all too obvious examples). Use the 4K format appears to minimize this problem.

remerson
Registered Member
You can never get an image sharper than what comes out of the camera. You can tweak the image to seem sharper (contrast and brightness tweaks, for example). All that does is take advantage of what's already in the raw footage. It won't create data that isn't in the raw footage. Again, if it's not in the input, it will never be in the output.