This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Clip declared invalid

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
msknight
Registered Member

Clip declared invalid

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 am
I changed from Mint to Ubuntu, 17.04. Installed the latest KDEnlive from the repos 16.12.3.

My camcorder is a Canon Legria FS200 and the previous versions of KDE were fine (15.12.3) ... but this version is declaring it as an invalid clip.

I'm temporarily getting around this by using VLC to convert the file, but I'm not sure whether my problem actually lies with KDEnlive or with Ubuntu. Perhaps I'm missing a codec that Mint has? I'm not sure.

I'd be grateful for any ideas on where I should start looking for a solution.
ttguy
OS

Re: Clip declared invalid

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 am
You can run a few tests to get and idea where the problem is
Can ffplay play your file ? From a terminal:
ffplay myvideo.mpg

Try playing your video file with MLT's player. From a terminal:

melt myvideo.mpg
msknight
Registered Member

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 am
No, it can't play it directly...

[libopenmpt @ 0x7ff838000920] openmpt_module_create_from_memory: ERROR: error loading file
MOV005.MOD: Invalid data found when processing input
msknight
Registered Member

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:41 pm
Got the ffmpeg issue sorted with another flag -f mpeg ... now to work out why KDEnlive doesn't like it.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:53 am
Is the "MOD" extension a copy-paste error? I've never seen such a format, what seems confirmed if you have to force the format detection with ffmpeg.
Just renaming the file with the right extension (MPG? MOV?) will maybe solve recognition by MLT?
remerson
Registered Member

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:34 pm
I ran into this with MP4's directly from my GP-clone camera. The solution was to invoke a custom project folder. Why there's a connection escapes me, but that was the cure. I didn't need to transcode or anything else.

When choosing a custom folder, use the browser option!!! At least on my system, pathway/filenames are appear to be white on white. >:(

When you're dead, you don't know it, and it's a problem for everybody else. It's like being stupid...
msknight
Registered Member

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 am
The MOD extension is not an error. That's the file that comes off the Canon FS200.

Here's one of the files - http://msknight.com/bbc/videos/MOV015.MOD

Thanks Remerson - I'll try that tonight.
msknight
Registered Member

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm
OK - if I rename the extension of the file to mpg then it takes it. But it rejects the same file with a .mod extension, as comes off the camera.

No clue why.
msknight
Registered Member

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 pm
It is as if kdenlive is going off the file extension and isn't actually looking inside the file to see what it actually is.