This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature requests: Advanced transition behaviour

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hgrell
Registered Member
Hello KdenLive-Team,

as a Youtuber I'm a passionate user of your program. It's pretty fantastic - especially as a freeware!

Lately I'm trying some more complicated stuff and I really wish you had some features regarding the nature of transitions. Can I make my feature requests here?

1. Please make transitions more like clips.

1a. I would love to have transitions in a group split as the clips do. That would save me so much time, you wouldn't believe it. Especially if I have 5-10 tracks for a complex setup and I want to insert a simple clip, that's an enormous hustle now. I the transitions split like the clips I would save days every year!

1b. I would love transitions to behave more like clips, so I can group them and have them ready as a multi-track-transitions-setup that I lay over my clips. I go on the setup, copy it as a whole and move it on my tracks. Would be amazing!

2. Colored transitions: To have setups and distinguish them from another I would love to have transitions being colorable.

That's for my suggestions.

By the way: Would it speed up the process if I donated some money to free some of your hours to work on these features (if you agree that they would be amazing as I think)?

Best! Hagen
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
1. I'm not sure to understand well... Can't you group select & copy-paste transitions just like clips? I believe it is normally possible...
2. Good idea. 17.08 release in few days is the last one with the "legacy" timeline code, it won't see any update, but this is a simple thing we could add to the new code for 17.12!
About donations: for the moment the very few devs already have full-time jobs and money is not determining their involvement. We use KDE donation system that all goes to a big pool, shared by the whole community, to sponsor all teams for sprints & confs: this is a choice of the community. However discussions have started to have money streams dedicated to some apps (like Krita for example), so it may change in a (near?) future...
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
hgrell
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:1. I'm not sure to understand well... Can't you group select & copy-paste transitions just like clips? I believe it is normally possible...

Hello vpinon, thank you very much for your reply!

1a. For example: Let's say If I have one long video clip on track 2 and I use a Composite Transition to add it smaller on track 1 where I have a Color Clip as background. Now I group the video clip on track 2, the Color Clip on track 1 and the transition. That is already possible. Now I make a cut (or usually several cuts) in the middle of this whole group. What happens: The Color Clip is cut, The video clip is cut, the transition is NOT cut. So if I use the spacer tool or something else I will move this still ONE transition instead of two transitions (which is what I would like to have).

1b. Transitions are not like clips in the following sense:
(1) They can't be cut, as already discussed.
(2) They do not count for determining the end of the timeline (if you video end at 10:01 and there's a transition at 11:30, the timeline still ends at 10:01)
(3) They can't be multi-resized (all clips together) if they are part of a group
(4) The cannot be correctly added to the library on their own - if you have just 2 transitions 5 seconds long on 2 tracks, mark them and add them to the library. You won't be able to use them, because their length counts as zero.