This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transcode from 1080p to 4K-Win10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
remerson
Registered Member

Transcode from 1080p to 4K-Win10

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:45 pm
I put together a project shot at 1080p60fps and tried to render the output to 4K60fps. Instead, the output is still 1080p60fps.

a) Does Kdenlive produce 4K video? The render options seem to allow 4K as a webm file

b) Does Kdenlive allow moving up in resolution from a lower resolution, e.g.,, 1080p to 4K? If so, how's it done?

The reason for moving to 4K is to minimize the damage YouTube compression does to 1080p uploads. In the past, I've done the transcoding with Resolve. I'd do it with this project but Resolve goes down in flames when handed a 25 minute "clip".

When you're dead, you don't know it, and it's a problem for everybody else. It's like being stupid...
remerson
Registered Member
I tried Handbrake but, AFAIK, it doesn't have any options for 4K. I updated Handbrake to the current rev. before trying this transcode.

When you're dead, you don't know it, and it's a problem for everybody else. It's like being stupid...
remerson
Registered Member
BUMP

Still looking for an answer to this question.

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
Sorry I believed I already answered (maybe not clear, in an other thread?)...
You could either:
- change your project profile to 4K... but if you don't use proxies this will kill responsiveness
- or in render dialog, check the "more options" box and then fill the "resize" field
Cheers!
remerson
Registered Member
Point 2 covers my immediate concern.

FWIW, Resolve lets me work in 1080p and then render as 4K. Is this the same as the "more options" solution?

Related to that: the formats with the X'ed out red circles... are they completely unavailable under Win10 or is there an additional package to add them?

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Yes, resizing output is I think what you want (by the way, I think doubling/quadrupling the resolution for Youtube transcoding problem is a bit aggressive ;) I believe there are encoding options we could apply that avoid youtube to reencode everything... but I haven't searched).

To get patented codecs on Windows, you must separately download FFmpeg binaries and copy the files to kdenlive dir, as explained on our download page.
remerson
Registered Member
The reason for going from 1080p to 4K is to work around YouTube compression artifacts. Of course trying to get more detail, than exists in the original image, out of that image is a waste of time. 1080p, viewed at 4K on YouTube, is pleasingly close to the original video that was uploaded to YT. 1080p uploaded as 4K, but viewed at 1080p isn't great, but it's better than 1080p uploaded as 1080p. It has far too much pixilation, blocking, and video trash.