This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive themes/skins

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Chris85
Registered Member

Kdenlive themes/skins

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm
Hi there.
Could you guys please create some themes for kdenlive?
The only option now is to install all the kde stuff. Because the dependencies make it less stable.
You already have to make sure that the correct version of Melt is installed.
So I wish it'd be less depended on kde framework and more standalone.
And because kdenlive is the (in my opinion at least) the only tolerable video editor on linux, I would love for it to have a more modern looking UI.
The UI looks unprofessional and all over the place, and could really use a overhaul.
alcinos
Registered Member

Re: Kdenlive themes/skins

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am
Hi chishvide,

The recommanded theme is Breeze dark, but you indeed need to install it from KDE.
Being part of a framework like KDE allows us to rely on well design interfaces, themes and icons sets and gives us more time to develop cool editing features for Kdenlive.
Designing interfaces from scratch is time consuming and requires a specific set of skills that we don't necessarily have in the Kdenlive dev team (but that they have at KDE). If we tried to provide our own design, it would probably end up being worse that what is already there.

Can I ask which theme you are using ? What parts of the UI seem "unprofessional" to you ?
Chris85
Registered Member

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 pm
I don't have any themes installed. Only the default theme.
Not sure how to install any of the themes.
Can't seem to find any in Synaptic either.
What are some good themes (package names)?
Please make it easy to install new themes from kdenlive itself.
Also if you don't have the skills required to create a new interface, can't you just hire some skilled guys?
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 am
Using the Breeze theme and applying some modifications to the default screen setup, your interface can look like this after a couple of minutes:
https://kdenlive.org/2017/08/kdenlive-17-08-released/

You will need to install the Breeze theme to your system - and as kdenlive uses your systems' themes, kdenlive cannot do that for you.
If you still to not like the interface, be kind and answer alcinos question what parts of the interface you mean to be unprofessional and then tell us, what changes would make the interface look professional for you.

kdenlive is an open source project, driven by volunteers. The best chance to get changes is to cooperate instead of blaming and ranting.