This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Rendered movies plus preview screen are white

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DeMus
Registered Member
Hi, I'm trying to make a movie from jpg files, glued together with dissolve transitions. On the timeline the pictures are shown, in the preview area they are all completely white.
When I render the movie they are white as well.
I use 17.70.11, but this occurs also in previous versions. Anyone any idea what to do with it?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
Where do your packages come from? This could be a MLT version problem or compilation flag missing...
Do you have GPU processing enabled? Try without...
Do you have more than 1 processing thread? Try with 1...
DeMus
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:Hello,
Where do your packages come from? This could be a MLT version problem or compilation flag missing...
Do you have GPU processing enabled? Try without...
Do you have more than 1 processing thread? Try with 1...

Thank you for your answer,

I installed it from the Arch Linux AUR (Arch User repository), but as I said I had this with other versions as well, and they come from the Manjaro Linux repositories.
I do not have GPU processing enabled. But it is not only the rendered movie, also the preview window shows a white image instead of my picture.
I did have multiple threads enabled but now tried with just one: same result.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
is MLT built from AUR?
does it link to gtk2, sdl_image?
DeMus
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:is MLT built from AUR?
NO, it's the version available in Manjaro
vpinon wrote:does it link to gtk2, sdl_image?
Yes and Yes.
crodgers
Registered Member
Where do the pictures come from?

The only thing I can think of, is that there was some kind of encoding issue which can occur with some phone cameras. I have seen this when I had a much older Android phone. It turned out that the picture encoding had some odd metadata entries and the pictures would not show with some photo viewers, but previews would work fine.

One thing you could try is using a photo editing program and convert them to a different format - such as PNG.
DeMus
Registered Member
crodgers wrote:
One thing you could try is using a photo editing program and convert them to a different format - such as PNG.

They either come directly from my camera as jpg, or they are converted raw cr2 files which I edited in Rawtherapee and saved as jpg, or they are jpg files edited in The Gimp.
I can try with a few pictures using the png format, but thing is, when I started with this project all was fine. It has worked with previous versions of kdenlive. I can't recall with which version it started to go wrong.

[EDIT] I did convert a few pictures to png and now I do get a picture. This means start all over again:
convert all used pictures from jpg to png
add those png files to the project
replace the jpg with the png counterparts
Thank god it's raining outside.

Thanks crodgers for your help. It is not ideal but at least it works. I hope I can now finish my project and show the result to the team members with whom I made the fantastic holiday last year.
crodgers
Registered Member
You're welcome. I'm Glad I was able to help you find a work around.