This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Windows version - render fails

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rolfreiner
Registered Member

Windows version - render fails

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 pm
Greetings,
After using the program for a number of months, suddenly it became impossible to export, regardless of chosen format.
A popup appears with the following info:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform pluguin "windows"
Available platform plugins available are minimal, windows
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem

I have so far been unable to fix the problem, any suggestions? Thx!

UPDATE:
It seems the problem can be fixed by copying the qwindows.dll from platforms to plugins folder.
All seems good, wonder what caused this problem, since it was working well before.
bartoloni
OS

Re: Windows version - render fails

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 pm
rolfreiner wrote:Greetings,
I have so far been unable to fix the problem, any suggestions? Thx!
UPDATE:
It seems the problem can be fixed by copying the qwindows.dll from platforms to plugins folder.
All seems good, wonder what caused this problem, since it was working well before.

what version of windows are you using?
i launche the kdenlve from decompressed 17.04.3 and 17.08.1 folders (without any change... and rendering MPEG4 is working fine)

if the issue is related to H264/265 (webM) ... you have to copy files from latest FFMPG binaries for windows...

If you want to export to H264/265 (instead of free WebM) it requires external FFmpeg download, follow the instructions bellow:

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64 ... shared.zip

text copied from: https://kdenlive.org/download/
rolfreiner
Registered Member

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 pm
Actually, I could not fix the problem, I managed to render from an earlier version, later realized this.

Rendering still works on Kdenlive 16.12.1 while crashing on the latest version for Windows 17.4 .3
So right now I can edit in the current Kdenlive version and then reopen the project with version 16.12.1 for rendering only.
So far so good, but sooner or later I will miss something from the current version that is not available in 16.12.1

I am running Windows 10 Home. I do not think the problem related to ffmpeg as webm rendering is also crashing
rolfreiner
Registered Member

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 pm
I have dowloaded the 17.8 build from the link you provided in this forum, and rendering crashes with the same message appearing as above in my first post. :-\
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:01 pm
The archive contains a "qt.conf" file that tells Qt to look for its plugins in the current dir.
Do you have this file?
Don't you have another qt.conf in system paths that would override this setup?
I don't get why it works with 16.12 and not 17.x...

Maybe 17.x are calling kdenlive_render.exe from 16.12 which uses a different Qt version.
Try resetting various paths in Kdenlive preferences that may point to 16.12 install?
(or fully resetting settings by renaming %APPDATA%\kdenliverc
rolfreiner
Registered Member

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 pm
Your last guess seems to be corrrect:

Maybe 17.x are calling kdenlive_render.exe from 16.12 which uses a different Qt version.
Try resetting various paths in Kdenlive preferences that may point to 16.12 install?
(or fully resetting settings by renaming %APPDATA%\kdenliverc[/quote]

I found the paths in 17.4 pointing to the 16.1 folder. After changing the paths to the correct folder, rendering is working.

Then I decided to check where the paths in 17.8 were pointing to, and they pointed to the 17.4 folder. So basically each new version was pointing to the previous install folder, or so I thought.... After fixing that, rendering was again possible in 17.8. Then I run 16.1 again only to find the paths there had also changed and were pointing to the 17.8 folder. Same thing when I ran 17.4, it also pointing now to 17.8 folder.

This means every time I update the settings, it affects all versions present in the computer. I guess that is strange, but not a problem anymore for me, just stick to one version at a time and it will be fine.
From your side, it would be interesting to investigate why the new versions inherited the paths from the earlier version at first, and why changing the settings in one version affects all others simultaneosly. That is beyond my capacity.

Thanks!
jagareas
Registered Member

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 am
I found a solution for this problem in Windows in the kdenlive manual. Use explorer and go to the user AppData folder. Then search for the file kdenliverc, which is the file where all the information on how kdenlive works is stored. It is not visible even when you are in the right folder, which is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local. Rename this file to kdenliverc.old, this will force a new one be created next time kdenlive is open. Fortunately, the new version will put all the right paths in the new file created.