This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to make a simple training video?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robmoult
Registered Member
The approach that I have taken to create a simple 75 minute training video is as follows:
1. I prepared a series of PowerPoint slides to be used as the video portion
2. I displayed each slide in PowerPoint "SlideShow" mode, did a "PrtSc" for each slide and saved each screen capture as a .jpg (I created 163 images, total 22 Meg, average 135K per .jpg)
3. I wrote a script and recorded / cleaned up using Audacity. MP3 file created was 28 Meg in size
4. I opened Kdenlive and created a new project using HD 720p / 25fps, 1 audio track (for my MP3) and 1 video track (for my .jpg images)
5. I "added clip" all the .jpg and moved them to the video track to synch with the MP3 audio track
6. I rendered to create a webm file (MP4 was not available... perhaps I need an add-on) which was 278 Meg
7. I used http://webmtomp4.online/ to create MP4 (other free online converters could not handle such as large file size). The resulting MP4 was 142 Meg

Everything works and I am happy with the outcome. Here are my questions:
1. Is there a "smarter" way to do it (I am most comfortable with PowerPoint to create the images)?
2. The file seems quite large (or perhaps this is a reasonable size for a 75 minute video which is basically a narrated PowerPoint?). Is my selection of "HD 720p / 25fps" the best choice?

Any advice?
jpasturel
Registered Member
Perhaps you can use a sceen recording ( video and audio) like icecream screen recorder https://icecreamapps.com/Screen-Recorder/ ou free sreen recorder https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/fr/product ... corder.htm and make the final video editing with kdenlive.
To have the mp4 codec in kdenlive windows you have to install a specific ffmpeg like described here : https://kdenlive.org/download/ section Windows
robmoult
Registered Member
Hi jpasturel,

Thanks for your suggestions on the screen recording applications... they appear to have more features than I really need.

I added the mp4 codec and it works fine... saves me a step (no need to convert from webm to mp4) but the file size is about the same

Is my selection of "HD 720p / 25fps" the best choice? I feel that the file size is larger than I expected.

Thanks,
Rob :)
jpasturel
Registered Member
140 Mo for a video of 75 mn is not very huge.
you can test with a 480p format and see if it is always correct
crodgers
Registered Member
For 75 minutes, that is a tiny file.

One of my videos (720P 30FPS) is 15 minutes long and is 900 Megabytes in size - the quality is very good though.
bartoloni
OS
jpasturel wrote:140 Mo for a video of 75 mn is not very huge.
you can test with a 480p format and see if it is always correct

if 163 images totally different requires 22 Mbytes of space .. using a different codec (or resolution with some sort of imterpolation) can increase size to 30-40.. if there are some SOLVE/DISSOLVE effects.. maybe add another 20/40 megabytes of space.. .. a 75Min MP3 can be 70Mbyte to 100 Mbyte... seems that the rendering size is correct.

if the MP3 is just 5 Mbytes (but repeating continuosly).. on the final rendering uses again 70/100 Mbytes.
robmoult
Registered Member
Thanks jpasturel, crodgers, and bartoloni… your answers have been helpful. Looks like I am on the right track. :)
bartoloni
OS
robmoult wrote:Thanks jpasturel, crodgers, and bartoloni… your answers have been helpful. Looks like I am on the right track. :)

you can also use the H264 codec (that can reduce the final size)
this is for example the profile that i'm using to render videos(720) of my quadcopter.
Code: Select all
<profile speeds="preset=slower;preset=medium;preset=faster;preset=ultrafast" category="Custom" name="Render720 - dominating (H264/AAC) -Q23 -A128 YUV420P" extension="mp4" args="properties=x264-medium f=mp4 vcodec=libx264 acodec=aac g=120 crf=23 ab=128+'k' mlt_image_format=yuv420p"/>