This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Zoomed video remains clipped

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vugie
Registered Member

Zoomed video remains clipped

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm
Hi

I have a square video clip which I put into the timeline of rectangular project. I'd like to zoom into this clip so it fills whole the frame, but whatever I do with Position and Zoom effect the image is clipped into original square shape centered within the frame:
http://ska.ska-polska.pl/wg/kdenscr.png

Whatever I do there are always vertical black stripes at left and right. Similar effect, but more weird behavior with Transform effect.

How to avoid this?

17.08.1, Windows 10 64-bit
humanbeing
Registered Member
OS

Re: Zoomed video remains clipped

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 pm
hi,

doesn't the picture grow when you increase the size parameter in the effect?
vugie
Registered Member

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:32 pm
It zooms in, but stays clipped within the square as you see in the screenshot.
gilpereira
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm
I think it will work If you mark that checkbox called "Distort" ^-^
And you have an option in properties "Lock aspect ratio" between the dimensions of the clip, it can work with the "distort" and get some different results.
Try it! ;)

vugie
Registered Member

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm
Same effect for both controls. It is possible to scale nonevenly, but clipping square is still there
gilpereira
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 pm
I don't understand ???
Do you want to make a zoom removing that black bars on the clip right?
Look this video, "distort" can make it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1q2AQtIp90&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry but I really did not understood what is the point. :(

vugie
Registered Member

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm
I'd like to zoom it without distortion, but it is not the point. Clip in my screenshot is already zoomed. When I increase the zoom factor (either by entering the number or by dragging) the part of the clip is hiding behind black bars. They do not shrink.
vugie
Registered Member

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 am
It works properly in 17.04.3

EDIT: it worked until I made first preview...
gilpereira
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm
It could be an wrong configuration in kdenlive, maybe your project do not match with the footage settings.
Try to delete the kdenlive configurations and do an another preview.

Do you have any problem with the rendered version?

crodgers
Registered Member

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 am
Try adding the 'Edge Crop' effect also. Use the effect side arrows to place the edge crop effect above the zoom effect (so it happens first).
aguadopd
Registered Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 am
The same is happening to me. Kdenlive 17.04.03 in Ubuntu Mate 16.04. The viewable area remains the same as the original viewable area of the video, whether you zoom in or out. I couldn't replicate it: it seems that sometimes it works as expected.

Edit: It doesn't matter if I check 'Distort', 'Lock aspect ratio' or 'sync keyframes with clip start'. This last option does not show in my current project, in which this effect is working correctly.
bartoloni
OS

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 am
i have the same issues (sometimes) on "composite and trasform" there is this wrong clipping area... for the composite and transform tool is related to the size of video.. if the project has a 16:9 layout.. all image clip needs to be prepared to a 16:9 layout .. and same thing for videos...
if the aspect ratio is 4:3 or much more different (like a rotated video form a smartphone).. the video will be cropped wrong.
i filled a BUG for this.. (composite and transform for static images) https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385797
i also added the BUG for the position and zoom: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383899

this is the image on 17.8.1 https://bugsfiles.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=107470

i tried the 17.08.2 and seems that "composite and the zoom and position) bug seems resolved
but also i think that these bugs are related to something else.. for example ..in a project with 2 videos (cutted in small clips to use the dissolve)
i have to select the Video1 track manually (and use a 16:9 image to force a correct clipping) because in "auto" the image are displayed with a black background (and correct size and clipping in any image format)

well.. lot of bugs.. and sometimes not easily reproducibles.
lisandrodemarchi
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm
I had the same issue with zoomed square images inside a 16:9 aspect ratio project.
After a lot of tinkering I realized this bug(?) only happens when the Timeline composition quality is set to "None" or "Preview", in "High Quality" mode the monitor works as expected and the rendered video is just fine.

My Kdenlive version is 17.08.2 (Appimage) running on Xubuntu 16.04
benjiw
Registered Member

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:07 pm
lisandrodemarchi wrote:I had the same issue with zoomed square images inside a 16:9 aspect ratio project.
After a lot of tinkering I realized this bug(?) only happens when the Timeline composition quality is set to "None" or "Preview", in "High Quality" mode the monitor works as expected and the rendered video is just fine.

My Kdenlive version is 17.08.2 (Appimage) running on Xubuntu 16.04

You are a hero! I started to panic when this happened in my massive hour-long project!