This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Strange keyboard issue bug

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
khatami
Registered Member

Strange keyboard issue bug

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 pm
I'm a new user using Kdenlive 17.08.1 64 bit with Windows 10 64.

Having a curious issue. When I start the application and press space bar playback starts. When I press it again playback stops. Then when I press it again playback does not start up again. I have to press the right arrow key a few times and then press the space bar and go back and forth and then playback starts again this is very unusual behavior. Have to repeat this process every time I stop playback.

Also the graphical play/pause/stop button works once then stops working.

I installed Kdenlive as per instructions on the website where I downloaded the application. I also installed the ffmpeg shared application.

I also have Shotcut and Lightworks installed and all the keys work perfectly with both applications.

So I'm wondering if it's a flawed install of kdenlive or is it something that's missing in my system.

I'd very much like to try out Kdenlive because it seems to be very robust and solid application. Unfortunately this keyboard issue is not making things easy.

Thank you for any insights.

Never mind. I downloaded and installed Kdenlive 17.04.3 and everything seems to work fine. No keyboard or other issues.

There is a bug in 17.08.1.
bartoloni
OS

Re: Strange keyboard issue bug

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 am
hi khatami, you are using an old version, better to fill a BUG seganaltion using latest build... this is the link to 17.08.2 Win64 build: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 8.2-w64.7z

[EDIT] i had time to try on latest build.. and this happens also to me..
but... i never pressed space on this video editor.. and also on other video editors...
there is somewhere written that SPACE starts and stops the playback of the preview?
can you link me to this page.. just to fill a BUG segnalation[/EDIT]
khatami
Registered Member

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 am
So this behavior is a bug.

bartoloni wrote:but... i never pressed space on this video editor.. and also on other video editors...
there is somewhere written that SPACE starts and stops the playback of the preview?
can you link me to this page.. just to fill a BUG segnalation[/EDIT]

Keyboard shortcuts for Shotcut show that SPACE is used to start/stop playback.

https://www.shotcut.org/howtos/keyboard-shortcuts/

Same for Lightworks.

http://lightworks.wikidot.com/keyboard-shortcuts

It seems that SPACE is used to start/stop/pause playback in most editors. Even Avidemux. :)
bartoloni
OS

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 pm
good to know :)
dariuszpocztowski
Registered Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 am
Hello,
I really wanted to thank and congratulate the great program.
I am an amateur, but some things I did and see that it is a really unique tool.
-
khatami wrote a post that I would exactly write - if I knew English well :)

khatami wrote:I'm a new user using Kdenlive 17.08.1 64 bit with Windows 10 64.
Having a curious issue...
-
Never mind. I downloaded and installed Kdenlive 17.04.3 and everything seems to work fine. No keyboard or other issues.

Where can I download the version Kdenlive 17.04.3?

Regards
Merlimau
Registered Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:19 am
You can download Kdenlive 17.04.3 here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/Kdenlive-17.04.3-w64.7z. Be aware that some bugs are closed in Kdenlive 17.08.2.
dariuszpocztowski
Registered Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:10 pm
Thank You very much :)
bartoloni
OS

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:43 am
khatami wrote:I'm a new user using Kdenlive 17.08.1 64 bit with Windows 10 64.
Having a curious issue. When I start the application and press space bar playback starts. When I press it again playback stops. Then when I press it again playback does not start up again. I have to press the right arrow key a few times and then press the space bar and go back and forth and then playback starts again this is very unusual behavior. Have to repeat this process every time I stop playback.
There is a bug in 17.08.1.[/b]

BTW is not a keyboard issues, but a "PLAY/STOP" issues of the preview window.
for example the CTRL+SPACE (or menu "play zone") works without any issue.
khatami
Registered Member

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm
Yes. Version 17.08.02 also behaves the same way. :(
khatami
Registered Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 am
Downloaded and installed Kdenlive 17.12.0 for Windows.
This bug is still present in version 17.12.0. :(
kenj69
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 am
I am using the 17.12.0 AppImage in Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon DE and Space Bar always works multiple times for Start/Stop. However, I have always used J/K/L for keyboard shuttle. It is nice also to press J or L multiple times to speed up playback. Some NLEs support Shift+J / Shift+L to play back at half-speed. Has Kdenlive ever supported this?

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
khatami
Registered Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 am
Space and graphical play/pause don't work in version 17.12.0 for Windows. The J/K/L keys don't work as well. This is an ongoing bug. :(
I've installed 17.04.3 which is the version where everything seems to work.

When I start the application and press space bar playback starts. When I press it again playback stops. Then when I press it again playback does not start up again. I have to press the right arrow key a few times and then press the space bar and go back and forth and then playback starts again this is very unusual behavior. Have to repeat this process every time I stop playback. Also the graphical play/pause/stop button works once then stops working.
khatami
Registered Member

Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 am
Windows 10 Kdenlive 17.04.3

This keyboard issue and play button not working properly has not been fixed since my initial post. I'm using version 17.04.3 because it's the only version that has no keyboard and play button issues. I've downloaded and installed every version of Kdenlive including the latest today (18.04.1d). The keyboard space to play/pause and the play button are completely messed up.

I really like Kdenlive and would like to use the latest version if it would work properly. I'm very surprised that nobody has addressed this issue in the Windows version of Kdenlive since version 17.04.3.

Would someone look at this issue and find a fix please.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am
It seems coming from compiling from Linux to Windows (maybe). On the Linux version it works: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=152364#p398558
Bug reported: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=382767

Workaround: when the play button is on: click with the mouse close to the time indicator and it plays.

EDIT: or hold down right/left arrow key for forward/backward playing (instead of J/K/L or space).
khatami
Registered Member

Fri May 11, 2018 10:44 am
Yes I know that everything works on the Linux version. I have Linux Fedora running in VMware and Kdenlive works fine. It would be great if Kdenlive would work on Windows as well. Version 17.04.3 does not have this issue at all.

As I said previously, Kdenlive is very good NLE. Just wish it would work on Windows as well as it does with Linux