This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

jack audio kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bananaplug
Registered Member

jack audio kdenlive

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am
Hi there,
Just wondering if it is possible to use Jack for audio with kdenlive?

did a quick google but couldn't find any recent info.

fairly new to linux , currently using kdenlive Version 17.04.3 on ubuntu studio 16.04.

If i have jack running , kdenlive will freeze / not open projects. Similarly if kdenlive is running first, i can't start jack.

I often go back and forward between video and audio editing, so hoping to find a way not to have to close one down to use the other.

Many thanks
kalimerox
Registered Member

Re: jack audio kdenlive

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 pm
Hi there,

unfortunately kdenlive does not support jack ;(

BUT: I use jack with Cadence and route all my sound wherever it comes from (pulseaudio or alsa) through jack and i do the same with kdenlive..

what is your distro? on ubuntu / debian you can install cadence and all you need through the kxstudio repositories
crodgers
Registered Member

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 pm
I have no issues with Jack and Kdenlive.

I use KXStudio which comes pre-setup with jack (using Cadence with Alsa) and Kdenlive (9.10) works properly. When I boot up, Jack is already running and I'm able to run Kdenlive without a problem. KXStudio is fully configured out-of-the-box though - which is one reason I use it (based on Ubuntu 14.04.5).

I do know that you can use either Pulseaudio or Alsa with Kdenlive; but programs such as Ardour and Hydrogen don't play nice with Pulseaudio.
kalimerox
Registered Member

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:08 am
@ crodgers thats what i meant: kdenlive has no "native" jack support but uses alsa. But as you said, it works well with kxstudio preconfigured set up routing all the pulseaudio and alsa through the snd_aloop daemon etc.
bananaplug
Registered Member

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 am
ok great thanks for your replies glad to know it's possible. I'm using ubuntu studio 16.04 . Have been trying to route pulse audio as you say, with qjackctl ,with not much success, kdenlive freezes or wont open if jack is running. So will give cadence a go, thanks !