This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My quadcopter-video rendering settings.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bartoloni
OS
usually the quadcopter videos are very huge...
my work before storing the videos is : reduce size doing some cuts .. add a logo on the bottom right side of video.. and a simple background music and some dissolve effects.

i have 2 video types (for now..) the 720p .. and the 1080p

to reduce the size of videos i use the X264 (MP4) ..

for the 720p (that has a very poor quality.. and i don't want to lose details) this is my configuration:
Code: Select all
<profile category="Custom" name="MP4 X264 - Quadcopter - 1080 CRF 23 (full size)" extension="mp4" args="properties=x264-medium f=mp4 vcodec=libx264 acodec=aac g=120 crf=23 ab=128+'k'"/>

and for the 1080p (i have to reduce the footage at half size to store) this is the configuration:
<profile category="Custom" name="MP4 X264 - Quadcopter - 1080 CRF 27 (half size)" extension="mp4" args="properties=x264-medium f=mp4 vcodec=libx264 acodec=aac g=120 crf=27 ab=128+'k'"/>

using a Radeon HD6670 on windows 10 i need to add this:
mlt_image_format=yuv420p
to preserve contrast

this is an image of the first and the second. (1080p video)

1st image: original video 1080p = 950Mbytes - converted to 1.2Gbytes (not good... but this is the format to reduce the 720p)
2nd image: original video 1080p = 950Mbytes - converted to 470Mbytes (good... the video just loses on sharpness)

and on 720p videos... using the CRF23 settings i can reduce a video from 200Mbytes to 50Mbytes

with this post i'm asking other video-makers to share settings (i want to improve mine) thank you!

P.S. the custom settings are stored on the file "customprofiles.xml" located on folder "export" on the hidden folder ".kdenlive" (on Windows is located here: %appdata%/kdenlive/export)

found now that the renderings have a wrong contrast (original video is a little bit more dark) .. i opened a new thread (again) about this issue on YUV videos. ( viewtopic.php?f=272&t=142746 )

Last edited by bartoloni on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
humanbeing
Registered Member
OS
you can control the size of your resulting videos through bitrate parameters, such as maxrate, but you will also have to specify bufsize in order to make them work.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.2 ... mumbitrate
bartoloni
OS
humanbeing wrote:you can control the size of your resulting videos through bitrate parameters, such as maxrate, but you will also have to specify bufsize in order to make them work.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.2 ... mumbitrate

thank you, i will try !