This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Slow rendering on new octa core Khadas Vim2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nicod
Registered Member
Hello, I use kdenlive on single board computers when I'm traveling.
I used to use the Odroid C2. Works great on that. I also have got a Tinker Board to compare it with.
Now I've bought the Khadas Vim 2 max. Compared to the Odroid this should be a lot faster since it's got 4 extra cores + 3gb ddr4 instead of 2gb ddr3 of the C2.
Both of them have fast emmc memory.

The thing is that the octo core Khadas Vim2 isn't faster at all. It is even a little bit slower than the Odroid C2, and a lot slower than the Tinker Board on the same 10 minutes 1080p video project.
I use Ubuntu Mate. I always have more than 1gb ram in spare while rendering.
The first 90% takes an hour, and almost always all 8 cores all maxed out. The last 10% takes 40minutes, and the cores are far from maxed out.
The time left doesn't get higher, it starts with 9 minutes left, counts of very slowly. Normally when I on purpose bottleneck the system the time left goes up a lot, not here.
I do not understand what the problem could be. There is more than enough ram left, and the emmc memory is fast enough not to be a problem.
Here are my test results so far:

Odroid C2
Cpu: 4x1.75Ghz 64bit(overclocked
Ram: 2 (1.7) GB ddr3
Storage: eMMC
Render result 10m1080p: 1h43m01s

Asus Tinker Board
Cpu: 4x1.8Ghz 32 bit
Ram: 2 GB ddr3
Storage: sd-card
Render result 10m1080p: 1h12m15s

Khadas Vim2 Max
Cpu: 4x1.5Ghz + 4x1Ghz
ram: 3 GB ddr4
Storage: eMMC
Render result 10m1080p: 1h43m47s

As you can see the Khadas is the slowest while I would expect it to be faster. It can't be because of the storage because the Tinker Board uses much slower sd cards. Is it possible that 32bit is faster than 64bit?
Does anyone have a clue on why this is?
I've got a video where I compare the Tinker Board with the Odroid C2. I use the same video project now on the Khadas Vim2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT17hiELHLE

Also I posted a thread on the Khadas forum
http://forum.khadas.com/t/underwhelming ... nlive/1466

I hope someone can help me figure out what the problem is.
Thank you in advance. Greetings,
NicoD
nicod
Registered Member
Hello all.
I have done some more tests. This time the BMW benchmark render in Blender.
There the Khadas Vim2 Max performs great as expected. All cores are maxed continuously and it beats the Odroid and the Tinker Board hugely.
So now I know that the performance of the cpu isn't the issue.
But I still don't have a clue of what the problem is in Kdenlive.
I will do some more research, if somebody has got any idea that may help, please let me know.

All the results until now:

Tinker Board
------------------
Kdenlive 10m 1080p render : 1h12m15s
Blender BMW bench : 2h29m42s

Odroid C2
--------------
Kdenlive 10m 1080p render : 1h43m01s
Blender BMW bench : 2h00m38s

Khadas Vim2
-------------------
Kdenlive 10m 1080p render : 1h43m46s
Blender BMW bench : 1h18m55s
nicod
Registered Member
Today I have made a video about this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ue7mmpVoU

Still hope someone can help me.
nicod
Registered Member
Hello all. I now have bought an Odroid XU4 what has got a big/little core configuration as the Khadas Vim2.
The Odroid XU4 does the same render a lot faster than the Khadas, so it doesn't have got that problem.
I thought the problem would have been the big/little technology, but I guess that's not the case.
If anyone has got any idea of what it then could be, please let me know. I would like to use the Khadas on my next bicycle trip as a video rendering station. It uses the least power, and I need to power everything with solar panels.

I again made a video about the rendering on the Odroid XU4. All the info is in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV44xtSFJGk
All have a nice day.
NicoD