This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

spacebar does not play video until I left click too

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
frewfrew
Registered Member
Hello, just installed Kdenlive for first time and I'm looking forward to getting to know it.

An initial problem I'm running into is that the Spacebar does not play the video.

I press Spacebar then left click on the Timeline and the video plays.

The Spacebar will then pause the video as it is playing.

Pressing the Spacebar again, I would expect the video to start playing again,
but instead I have to left click on the Timeline just after pressing the Spacebar in order
for the video to resume playing.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for any ideas.

Windows 10, Creators.

frew
gilpereira
Registered Member
OS
It's not normal but I can't help you because I don't use windows. :-\ This guys are working hard to make a good version for windows but it takes some time.
Maybe some Dev could give you a good word about this issue. It's not a big problem I mean you can survive without a spacebar ;D

Look like an issue but check your keyboard shortcuts, I don't know, I can't help much more.

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
This is a known bug, that affects also Linux version for some time.

For 6 months, almost all effort is put on a complete rewrite of the timeline and other core parts (needed for years), which should fix many bugs and ease further development. We expected to release it next month, however quality is still not sufficient so it will probably come only beginngin of 2018.
Given that delay, we will probably re-focus some time on current version to fix such bugs, we'll see if we can easily fix this one.

Thanks for your patience!
bartoloni
OS
frewfrew wrote:Hello, just installed Kdenlive for first time and I'm looking forward to getting to know it.
An initial problem I'm running into is that the Spacebar does not play the video.
I press Spacebar then left click on the Timeline and the video plays.
Windows 10, Creators.
frew

can you confirm that the issue is just on SPACE and NOT on CTRL+SPACE?
frewfrew
Registered Member
gilpereira wrote:It's not a big problem I mean you can survive without a spacebar

True, but clearly it greatly affects workflow, so I'm sure it will get worked out.
So nice to be able to just play/pause...play/pause etc with Spacebar.

vpinon wrote:This is a known bug, that affects also Linux version for some time...we'll see if we can easily fix this one...

Thanks for your patience!

I see. Okay. Thank you.

bartoloni wrote:
can you confirm that the issue is just on SPACE and NOT on CTRL+SPACE?

Yes, here the issue is only on SPACE and NOT on CTRL+SPACE.

Okay, a couple other important bits:

SPACE causes the play button to change to play mode
(ie now having been toggled to show the pause button).
Pressing SPACE again causes the play button to change to pause (or stop?) mode
(ie now having been toggled to show the play button).

When I first open a project, SPACE will play the video, and pressing SPACE again will pause the video.
Immediately after that, SPACE will play the video forward by one second frame and stop,
with the play button remaining in play mode.
Pressing SPACE again causes the play button to change to pause (or stop?) mode
(ie now having been toggled to show the play button).

Repeatedly pressing SPACE every few seconds will repeat the above pattern indefinitely.

Note that I don't think it has anything to do with the the Spacebar itself,
because if I configure a different key for "Play", the new key will exhibit
the exact same behaviors mentioned above.

Thank you.
thesourmango
Registered Member
I'm still having this problem. Has it been solved, is there a fix?
mbbackus
Registered Member
I am also having the same issue on a Windows 10 machine. This is a minor bug that has a major impact - it really slows me down. I vote that we make this bug fix a priority.

On a side note, I really like how easy it is to download and use Kdenlive-18.04.1

You guys are doing a great job. Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this project.