This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Noob Needs to Know How to Control Window Elements!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Maybe I'm not using the right terminology but I can't figure out how to control Kdenlive's window elements. Can't find anything in the Manual, Wiki or Tutorials. No-one seems to address this. I adjusted the position of some of my windows and now I can't figure out how restore them.

In the upper right-hand corner of each window element is an X and a diagonal arrow symbol. Neither has a tool-tip. I tried clicking them and dragging windows around but just continued making a mess of the interface. :< This shouldn't be so hard to figure out. Still looking for my "ah-ha" moment.

Instructions - please!

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
bartoloni
OS
you have to choice what windows you want to see... windows that have the [X] can be docked/moved elsewhere... (use the double-rectangle icon to unlock the windows)..

P.S. i'm using the Windows version of Kdenlive and everything seems to working nice.

[EDIT] USING THE VIEW MENU [/EDIT]

Last edited by bartoloni on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thank you, bartoloni, for the reply.

It did not occur to me that the problem could be OS specific. Running Kdenlive 0.9.10 since that is that latest version available in Linux Mint 17.3. Earlier attempts to run Kdenlive on this same rig proved very unstable so I was using Shotcut, a nice basic editor.

New day, new approach. Yesterday, I was trying to maneuver windows with my project loaded. Today, I tried it with NO project loaded and finally figured it out. You hold your mouth just right :D and drag a window onto the central area of an existing window to get it to auto-size over that window. Now I have "nested" Record, Project, Clip Monitors and nested Histogram, AudioSpectrum, RGB Parade, Spectogram, Waveform and Vectorscope windows (or is it panels?).

I thought it was neat to drag my Project Monitor over to a secondary video screen yesterday but, with a project loaded, I couldn't get the Project and Clip Monitors back so I could overlay them again properly. Also, yesterday I tried using the View/Load Layout in an attempt to recover but since I hadn't yet saved any........ Apparently, their aren't any default Layouts.

Well, I finally had my 'Ah-ha' moment and figured this out. BTW, is their any documetation concerning this? I don't know whether to call them windows or panels? What are they normally called? Also, I don't really understand "unlocking" the windows.

-=Ken=-

bartoloni
OS
kenj69 wrote:Thank you, bartoloni, for the reply.
It did not occur to me that the problem could be OS specific. Running Kdenlive 0.9.10 since that is that latest version available in Linux Mint 17.3.
-=Ken=-

you have to use the Appimage version: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 4.AppImage (just to be sure that window management is the latest one)
blabduichi
Registered Member
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
you have to use the Appimage version:

Thanks for suggesting this. I tried using AppImage some months ago and was unsuccessful. I just tried it again and it seems to be working reliably. Only thing is - I don't know why I was unsuccessful before and successful now. What changed? THAT bothers me. Whatever, moving on.

I asked a couple further questions that were not answered. Looks like only one major question per post! What does "unlocking" windows or panels mean? Edit: Also, the Waveform Monitor no longer works right......

-=Ken=-