This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot remove dynamic text timecode from clip

Tags: dynamic text, timecode, bug dynamic text, timecode, bug dynamic text, timecode, bug
(comma "," separated)
sbeing
Registered Member
OS
I rendered a video only to find a timecode embedded in three of the clips. I entered the project and found dynamic text in each of those clips that I did not recall putting there. Upon deleting the dynamic text, the timecode was still visible in the preview. I saved and exited the program, and upon reopening the project, the dynamic text with the timecode had reappeared. In two cases, I was able to change the X position for the dynamic text and move it offscreen, though only after fiddling with the options for some time. I cannot get rid of the timecode in the third clip, however. It should be noted that dynamic text (with a static message) already existed for the two clips where I managed to move the timecode offscreen, but adding static text to the third clip doesn't appear to let me influence the timecode. Does anyone have any idea how I might resolve this issue? The only thing that got rid of the third timecode was disabling effects globally with the "Disable Timeline Effects" option, but that isn't really an option for me here.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
It is not totally clear to me what sequence you have taken to correct the problem. The only way to embed Timecode into a video clip is to add the Dynamic Text video effect. Rather than simply deleting any embedded text you should remove the "Dynamic Text" video effect from each/all clips. Or have I misunderstood you?

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
sbeing
Registered Member
OS
I have indeed removed the Dynamic text effect itself, but nothing has changed.
Here is a picture, if that helps: Image
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
I had to download your photo and increase the contrast to see the Timecode was indeed there. Trying to replicate your steps - I created a new project, added three clips, added Dynamic Text filter to each one. When I Disable the effect on each clip the Timecode goes away. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently Render your clips previously, not noticing the Timecode, since it was so hard to see? Once the Dynamic Text is embedded in the Rendered video it will remain there forever.

If you added, then removed the Dynamic Text filter, then saved your project - and the next time you opened the project the Dynamic Text filter was still applied - then "exorcism" might be the next step. If someone here can't replicate the problem then the only logical explanation is you forgot what you really did to your project. I suggest doing a new project with fresh clips and see if this happens again. A bug must to be able to be replicated by a developer.

-=Ken=-

sbeing
Registered Member
OS
I am certain that I did not previously render these clips, as I was able to remove the timecodes from two of the clips, despite them initially exhibiting the same behavior as the one I had yet to remove. And, as I mentioned before, globally disabling effects with "Disable Timeline Effects" removes the timecode, as well. I don't suppose you know any good exorcists?

...?!
Oh, would you look at that! I just tried removing the dynamic text, copying the clip with the timecode, putting the copy in another video track, deleting the original clip, and then putting the copy where the original clip was, and the copy no longer bears the timecode, even upon saving and reloading. How strange...

Well, I still don't know why this happened, but the problem appears to be solved.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Yea! :D

Sometimes projects get pretty complicated. I'm glad you got it resolved.

Now you get to mark the topic [Solved] ;D
(Oh, is that checkmark what THIS forum uses to indicate solved?)

-=Ken=-