This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

trouble opening kdenlive in windows 7

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bhiggins
Registered Member
Ok I have the instructions for Windows from the manual, but I think I go wrong on step 4.

I open the ffmpeg bin" subfolder, I see .dll files, but no .exe files, and anyway, I can't move them to the kden download < kdenlive -17.12.0-w64 (1).7z >

I can't open the kden folder because there is no program associated with it. I have downloaded the 7 z file manager.
Any help would be appreciated.

The beta Windows version can be downloaded from the KDE servers.

If you want to render your project to the H.264/265 formats (instead of using the free WebM format) you’ll need to additionally download an external FFmpeg package. Please follow the instructions below:

1Unzip the downloaded Kdenlive version using the 7-Zip app.
2Download the FFmpeg shared 64bit build from Zeranoe.com.
3Unzip the FFmpeg download.
4Copy the contents of the FFmpeg “bin” subfolder (containing .dll and .exe files) into the kdenlive-windows folder – overwriting some existing files from the Kdenlive package with the ones from the FFmpeg package.
5Copy the FFmpeg “presets” subfolder inside kdenlive-windows folder.
Start Kdenlive from kdenlive.exe in kdenlive-windows folder, close it and re-open it.

Actually, I found Kdenlive in program files (x86), and I copied .dll files tgo it. I see no .exe files anywhere, I guess I'll keep looking. I have a ffmpeg file, but it does not say"preset"
anywhere around it, but I copied it over also. so I will try to searc h for kdenlive.exe
bartoloni
OS
yep.. 7z is not the standard compression tool of Windows... but probably using a Video editing application is much more complicated than extract a 7zip archive...

BTW... decompress the .7z on the desktop (right mouse button) on the 7z archive (and select decompress)

now on the folder there is a .EXE file (kdenlive.exe) that you can launch... (but this is not the time to launch it)

download the ffmpeg archive... (https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64 ... shared.zip) decompress it... now move the content of "bin" folder on the folder of kdenlive.. (some files needs to be overwritten..)