This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

1 Clip, 1 Proxy, Multiple Projects

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kalegood
Registered Member

1 Clip, 1 Proxy, Multiple Projects

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Newbie here. My use case is the following:

I am a guitar teacher. I record my students at recitals every spring and fall.
I want to create a video/project for each individual student that shows their progress over the years (including future recitals).

I don't want to recreate proxy clips of all the past recitals after every new recital. I want to keep my proxy clips around. This is so that I can get the new "Student" videos out very quickly and without much fuss after each recital (never mind the consequences on my disk usage)

I also want to use the same proxy clip across different project files (as "Recital #4" will get used it ~15 different projects). Obviously, this is less than ideal, especially given that I want to keep the proxies around.

However, I can't figure a way that the GUI supports that. I thought the kdenlive library function would handle it; if it does, I can't figure it out (and, after reading about it a bit more, I doubt that it would). (my best guess is that this would require a database of all the video files that have been loaded and their respective proxy locations; seems a bit complex)

At this point, I'm thinking that my best option is to create the proxies in a single project, then manually edit the .kdenlive project files to reflect that proxy's location. (perhaps there is a feature request in here: the ability to manually generate and/or enter proxy clip location). (but I'm guessing my use-case is rare enough that this isn't worth it to implement).
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
In project configuration, you can set the project folder, which contains a cache subfolder.
If all you projects use the same folder, then they should all use the same cache files...
Isn't it what you want?
BR,
Vincent