This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Looking to settle on a video editor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ielwood
Registered Member

Looking to settle on a video editor

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Hi, I've recently wiped Windows from all machines in my house and installed Mint 18.3 on all of them. I used to use Premiere a lot, not at a professional level or anything, mainly for editing home videos, downloaded videos and dash cam footage.

One thing I loved about Premiere was the ability to import video clips before creating a project. I could then right-click one of these video clips and create a project based on the specs of the imported video clip - that is, the size, width and FPS etc.

I could then take more than one clip from my imported clip and build up a new movie in the timeline.

Once done, I'd render/export that down to 540p and I'd then run it through Handbrake to encode into MP4.

I've searched all over the place for a replacement video editor and Kdenlive has been recommended by many yet as much as I research, I can't find if it can do what I describe above. I've gone through a couple programs and none of the others can.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
It has been a couple days since you posted. So here is my attempt at helping......
ielwood wrote:Hi, I've recently wiped Windows from all machines in my house and installed Mint 18.3 on all of them.

MS Windoze is banned from my machines as well. But you didn't say what desktop environment you used. Kdenlive will run on a DE other than KDE but I have been finding certain limitations running Cinnamon DE. I will be moving to KDE Neon in a few days so Kdenlive is as happy as possible.
ielwood wrote:I could then take more than one clip from my imported clip and build up a new movie in the timeline.

Um - not sure what this means. Perhaps you could clarify? Kdenlive does have both a Clip Monitor and a Timeline Monitor. Seems like it should work very much like Premiere.
ielwood wrote:Once done, I'd render/export that down to 540p and I'd then run it through Handbrake to encode into MP4.

<scratching head> Why on earth would you want to output to 540p? Also, you shouldn't need Handbrake to get final output - unless it is a very unusual target format.

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710