This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Position pointer in timeline fails to move correctly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jherring
Registered Member
Hi,

I've got an issue with the pointer in the timeline not moving to the position in the clip/project I click to. When I click on a time spot in the timeline (for project, or for clip) the pointer fails to move perhaps 2/3 of the time. It doesn't change where the vertical bar is in the timeline, nor does it change the pointer in the clip viewer. I can force it to change sometimes by toggling between "clip" and "project", or by hitting "play" then "pause", and then re-clicking where I wanted to be in the project/timeline.

This is terribly difficult to use while behaving this way. Any thoughts?

Kdenlive 17.12, Fedora 27, Nvidia 950 series graphics and driver, latest MLT and MOVIT. It behaved this way in Fedora 23 also, which I recently upgraded from. The last time it worked properly was way back in Fedora 20, in which kdenlive was solid regarding behavior and performance. I was booting into Fedora 20 just to due video editing, but I'd like to stop doing that.

Thanks!
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
I have no problems with this. My specs are below in the signature area. I can click anywhere in the active Timeline area, except of course within an active clip. I can click anywhere in the Monitors, in the area where the playhead carrot is displayed.

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
kalegood
Registered Member
On the latest AppImage (17.12.04d?), my position pointer never moves on click. It does move when the video starts to play. This happens in the timeline as well as the project and clip monitors. A little gray bar will appear where I click, but I can't click and drag or anything.

This wasn't happening on the install from my Arch repositories. However, a recent update broke that pretty hard and I can't load a file to check out why.

Specs are:
Arch Linux w/ most recent LTS kernal
Gnome
Ryzen 5 1600
1050ti w/ most recent Nvidia-LTS kernal
8 gigs RAM
ASUS x370 Prime Pro MB
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Hi again. I looked at the reviews for your MB on Newegg and many of them talk about the necessity of bios updates for the Ryzen processors. One review mentioned the SMT (multi-threading) wasn't working properly until he got a proper update. HTH. -=Ken=-

kalegood
Registered Member
Thanks for looking that up. I doubt that is the issue for two reasons:
1) The setting worked properly on my Arch-repository install (before the entire application broke and I went to the AppImage, which is where I'm having the problem)
2) I updated my bios when I got the board on 2017-12-30.

(also, I think this reply was intended for a different thread I opened specifically about the threading issue. I realize I'm posting a lot about the problems I'm having).
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Yeah, I noticed you were the same guy - and here you posted your rig specs. As you can see from my specs below I am running a 2-3 year old version of Mint. And the latest repository version of Kdenlive is 9.10.0 which was not stable enough to add a single clip! I was thrilled to find the recent AppImage releases allowing me to add the very latest. However, I have had some problems with the AppImages - one being high processor utilization (although I wasn't sure), although the integrated APU smoothly allowed for other processes. It is unfortunate that there is little participation on this forum compared to Mint forums but I did have one member say they didn't have high cpu utilization. What I deduced so far is that Kdenlive runs best on KDE so that's my next build. Still think it may be Ryzen procs but hoping not since AMD is preferred. Edit: might it be AMD procs?
-=Ken=-

kalegood
Registered Member
doubt it; it was working fine on the non-AppImage version.
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Oooh! Well, ok then. I am looking forward to KDE Neon with up-to-date apps not requiring AppImage.

Best,

-=Ken=-

kalegood
Registered Member
Well, just a heads-up; this was my problem:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352489
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for posting. Hope it gets fixed soon.

BTW, I remember a Beta AppImage. It wouldn't take long to test it to see if it has been addressed in a rewrite.

-=Ken=-

jherring
Registered Member
I can confirm the multi-thread bug linked earlier was also my problem. I do hope this gets fixed soon! Thanks for the responses and discussion.