This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Many video effects produce a black image

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pallemand
Registered Member
I am using kdenlive 17.12 from appimage with ubuntu 16.04 - MLT 6.5.0.

Some effects are just producing a black image:
- Crop, Scale and Tilt
- Vertigo

Many others, especially the ones in misc, are displaying an endless rotating progression bar. There are some messages in the console like:
Code: Select all
[filter avfilter.transpose] Unexpected return format

Rotoscoping is also not working at all.

The same issues appear when I use the kdenlive version from the repository.

Everything was working fine with Ubuntu 14.04 and the kdenlive version from the repository.
philippea
Registered Member
Nobody has an idea how to fix the issue ? Does someone else has it ?
Stetsbequem
Registered Member
OS
Install the latest version of MLT.

Apart from that, there are currently only two possibilities, either to change the VE or to try the alpha version of the upcoming one.

The Social Credit System is a credit rating and blacklist being developed by the the ruling Chinese Communist Party. The goal is total control of the population by awarding points for desirable behavior, or withdrawing them for negative behavior.
joseoliveira
Registered Member
Hello,

It isn't a MLT problem...
I'm running Flowblade 1.14 on same machine with same MLT (6.5.0) and Vertigo effect works on Flowblade...
Hope this helps...

Jose
dft
Registered Member
joseoliveira wrote:Hello,

It isn't a MLT problem...
I'm running Flowblade 1.14 on same machine with same MLT (6.5.0) and Vertigo effect works on Flowblade...
Hope this helps...

Jose

I can confirm mine does the same...17.12.3 on my laptop and workstation with Manjaro. It doesn't appear to be MLT related though. My experiments point to effect corruption. Understand KDENLive is powerful but also rather buggy.
prawns
Registered Member
OS
Doesn't that have to do with frame rate?

I've noticed that, depending on specific framerate combination between input clip and project framerate, I can only slow down that clip (speed effect) by certain percentage. If the percentage for that combo is X - everything works (although too much will obviously make the video jerky). However if that combo is Y - the clip will either have black spots (as if you dropped a frame-length black image on top video track) or the entire clip is black. I imagine this is because certaing percentage slowdown causes certain frames of the input clip to fall "in between" two frames of the project framerate.

Also, I've noticed that - in general - Kdenlive is poor in managing tags within a complex project. So every now and then when I apply an effect (tried with few effects), the clip goes entirely black. However, if I delete that clip from the timeline, and add again from project library and then apply the same effect with the same settings as before, the clip looks normal and the effect is applied.

So what I'm saying is: try experimenting with effect settings and ensure framerates between [clip + effects] are in line with project framerate.
dft
Registered Member
Well in my case all footage is identical @1080p60 ie 59.94 and I have similar to OP
ADepic
Registered Member
Crop, scale and tilt for me does nothing -- the effect doesn't work. In the terminal, this error comes up again and again, like 50 times or something...
Code: Select all
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 34466, resource id: 96469378, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 34493, resource id: 96469378, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 34496, resource id: 96469378, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 34512, resource id: 96469378, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3

the only difference in each line is the "sequence". I'm not sure if these errors are even related to the broken effects, because sometimes they come without those effects

Also for me many misc effects just have a endless progression bar.
Same errors as above.
ADepic
Registered Member
Anything?
philippea
Registered Member
Well I've upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04m and still, the Vertigo effect and some others are not working (producing black image) ...

It works nicely with Flowblade.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
I believe the problem is that the effects default values were not parsed properly anymore for few versions,
the effect does work but you have to play with the cursors to find values bringing the image back.
The code is fixed (hopefully) in 18.08.1.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Just a guess: Do you have enabled the GPU acceleration? Hit CTRL+SHIFT+, -> playback -> uncheck use GPU. Had worked here: viewtopic.php?f=270&t=153514#p402384

Hi Vpinon. I saw that in several threats that on different Linux distro the effects don’t work properly or are missing. Like here viewtopic.php?f=270&t=153514#p402384
And here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=398024