This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Subtitles created in earlier version now missing in 17.12.0

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ambro
Registered Member
Hi, I hope someone can help me with a huge problem.

A year ago in 2017, after completing a short film, I created subtitles (English and Chinese) for each scene.
But yesterday, when I finally had time to complete the film, when I loaded the file in Kdenlive 17.12.0, all of the subtitles were missing.

This is a huge setback for me as I worked on the subtitling with a small team to ensure accuracy.
How can this be resolved? Will the release of Kdenlive 18 fix this problem and return my subtitles?
Can I download an old version of Kdenlive from a year ago, open the file and have the subtitles returned?

I look forward to any advice you can provide.

I also hope the developers will be careful for future releases to prevent this type of data loss. Its a very big setback and will tend to drive users away from this amazing editor.
ambro
Registered Member
Oh no... are there no suggestions for me?
Is this not a known problem?

I'm hoping that someone will assure me there is a simple solution....
Merlimau
Registered Member
As work around. Finish the work in the old version of Kdenlive. When you load the project file into 12.0 it will be updated into the new file format but a backup is done. Take that back up file and import into the old version.
ambro
Registered Member
I will try that.

But now, where can I download old versions of Kdenlive.appimage?

Running the old versions as appimages should be quite easy.
Merlimau
Registered Member
ambro
Registered Member
Thank you for the download link. I also found a number of older versions here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Kden ... d-versions

The Kdenlive project should have an archive of appimages in case users run into problems like the one I now face.
I'll post my results as soon as I find out if this works! Thanks to everyone!