This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Got WEBM and MP4 working! This is how! (Windows OS)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
AceMcCrank
Registered Member
OS
This applies to the Windows OS and using the Beta Kdenlive 17.12.0-w64 release.

Okay, so the website lies.... Sort of. The instructions are a bit deprecated (and the link uses the wrong version of FFMPEG to be compatible with the build!) as FFMPEG has updated their libraries, and this is how to get your MP4 files working, and get rid of the "Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead." error when attempting a few of the other formats such as WEBM.

THIS IS FOR WINDOWS.

See the difference? The new versions of FFMPEG use different files than the ones included in Kdenlive. In fact, if you transfer the files by just copying, you end up with duplicates.

This is not what we want. To solve, I just had to download an older version of FFMPEG from their site ( https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/shared/ ) and copy THOSE files over instead (See the first pic, you'll see the files with the lower numbers at the end). The one I downloaded and works perfectly is ffmpeg-3.2.4-win64-shared (Released 13 Mar 2017). This will solve most of the rendering issues. The one other thing I had to do was remove one file from Kdenlive: avresample-3.dll. This unlocked the MP4 capabilities and I was able to render without issue. One thread was going to take almost an hour, but bumped up to 4 concurrent threads, and running on all 4 cores of my i5, I got this down to 3m35s.

And, the MP4 file works without any issue!

I hope this helps anyone with any issues!

(Note, before starting Kdenlive up again after these changes, make sure in Task Manager that all instances of Kdenlive.exe have been stopped.)
bartoloni
OS
good catch! maybe now is necessary to find latest working version and renaming files... (or not?)
AceMcCrank
Registered Member
OS
bartoloni wrote:good catch! maybe now is necessary to find latest working version and renaming files... (or not?)

Right. This also fixed issues that prevented many effects from being able to be rendered as well.
Grizzly Adam
Registered Member
Worked to fixed the installation for the kids. I am glad to be able to get them going on a good editor now that there is a version for windows.

I am surprised that the appimage hasn't been fixed yet.