This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Previewing in lower resolution than rendering

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
couling
Registered Member
Hi

I'm new to kdenlive. I'm currently trying to edit 4K video (H264 @ 29.9fps). My PC really isn't very powerful. So I've already started to use proxy clips. This is a little jumpy still. Then the moment anything requires more than that, the playback becomes very halting.

If I change the project settings to 720p then playback becomes smooth and I can switch it back to 4K before rendering it.

My concern is that changing the project resolution gives me a stern warning that it "might corrupt some transitions".

My question is
- Is there a better way to deal with this?
- What is the genuine risk of changing the project settings in the way? What actually could happen to my transitions etc?
capslock
Registered Member
OS
couling
Registered Member
Thanks for your response capslock. I'm new here, but reading questions before answering is generally a good idea. ;)
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, I skipped the line with proxy clips, my fault.
Zecas
Registered Member
> If I change the project settings to 720p then playback becomes smooth and I can switch it back to 4K before rendering it.

Thanks for the hint, I was stuck with this regression... of course this is not a solution, but while we wait for it to be fixed....

Proxy clips worked for me with previous KDEnlive 0.9.10 in Mageia 5, that's why I talk about a regression.
couling
Registered Member
Remember to switch to full resolution before creating title clips etc. These seem to inherit whatever you have selected when you create them. You can then edit with settings 720p and it will warn you, but keep the same settings.
unfa
Registered Member
I was also thinking about this.

I usually composite 4-5 tracks in my videos, and I see that it's not reading or decoding video data the bottleneck - it's compositing frames.

If I could have the editing preview render wiht a different profile (say 720x480 resolution) I could maybe finally achieve 30 FPS or at least stutter-less audio playback on my Ryzen 7 1700-based system.

I think I'm gonna experiment with swapping MLT profiles, but I wish there was a cleaner way. The titles could be scaled automatically by Kdenlive to compensate this to make downscaled previews work quickly (I already use Proxy for everything but it's still way too slow to edit conveniently).

I usually just hide all but 2 tracks (main video + audio) for editing but it's difficult to produce a well-timed complex comp with such a bare-bones preview.