This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to compile/build Kdenlive on Microsoft Windows?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
qubodup
Registered Member
Hi, does anybody know where the documentation for building Kdenlive on Windows is kept? I could neither find it with some basic googling nor in the git's README file.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hi Qubodup!

The Windows version is not built "on" Windows but "for" Windows... from Linux ;)
For that I use MXE, with custom plugins: github.com/vpinon/mxe
with short notes: https://github.com/vpinon/mxe/blob/mast ... E.kdenlive

This is not very convenient for Windows devs to help, so out goal is to now be able to build from Windows.
There are several build systems to handle the numerous dependencies, our choice is to use KDE Craft (which integrates with KDE CI system)...
but we still haven't prepared the build specs for MLT and other multimedia dependencies.
It was an extra goal for GSoC student 2 years back, some other candidates offered to have a look since then, but nothing happened yet.
I'm currently on other topics for the moment, so don't expect progress from my side in the next weeks.

Cheers!

Vincent
qubodup
Registered Member
Thanks for the reply!

I got Craft to install but it won't install (build?) amarok.exe. It managed to build kate.exe though.

If Craft works, it would definitely be nicer to use than running a VM with Linux in it to compile for Windows, but just in case: If it would be super easy to document and/or automate the MXE process, it probably would be useful in the short term.
momohua
Registered Member
Did you compile it successfully? Can you share your compilation process and steps? Thanks a lot