This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Need help to fix my project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dft
Registered Member

Need help to fix my project

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 pm
Kdenlive
Version 17.12.3
MLT version 6.5.0
FFmpeg libraries
4.14.31-1-MANJARO

So I put in about 60 hours into one of my projects

I have a few concerns.

1. Some effects don't work yet used. Eg. Clip 001.mts had normalised on it and it works fine. If I add ANY new clips to my timeline and add normalise to it - it mutes the clip, even if I copy and paste one that has it working. Some effects work fine but most of them are now "broken".

2. My clips that had speed changes other than round 100's ie 100,200 etc suddenly reverted to normal speed. Again only found out when I did a final render and watched it.

3. When doing a final render it appeared that it looks at proxies instead of original raw footage. When "testing" a final cut I saw stuttering near the end of my 40min video. I tracked down the proxy and it stuttered too (when it never used to...). I rendered just that section and it had the stutter. I did not select "use proxy" on the render options and never do. The original MTS file was fine. I deleted the proxy and recreated the proxy, then rendered that section. Stutter was gone. This bothers me as it means the final render DOES use proxies when they imo should only be used for editing.

4. Project takes super long to open. 100 seconds 2.7MB project. i5 Laptop NVMe SSD and Ryzen 1800x SATA SSD.

4. My project can open fine on my workstation but will not complete a render within Kdenlive or via scripts. Identical folder structure. On my laptop the final render only works with script. Rending within Kdenlive results in a crash.

5. Now I always keep them updated both my laptop and workstation with latest updates etc. Both run Manjaro with KDE and same kernel etc. On my workstation, if I open my project and do nothing but save it, it will not open at all on either computer thereafter.

I then tested by creating a new empty project and then immediately reopen the project. It moans about my locale using "," and QT expects ".". Odd as it Kdenlive just created said empty file.

6. I even used KDENLive on Windows to test, it stutters with basic playback whereas Linux editing is fine, however my render with the SAME settings on x265 finished in 1/5 the time and almost identical filesize. It could be an AMD thing Linux vs Windows.

7. When using the slideshow generator is it possible to let it use only selected files instead of everything in a folder?

8. The clip monitor / trimmer has broken somehow on both pc's. I can't add a video to my timeline without it "spacing". Using insert or overwrite mode has no effect. It will insert at current position and slice and move everything else even if the video tracks are "free" and have space. I suspect I''m doing something dumb here.

Anyways I love KDENLive and Linux but honestly am concerned as I've watched my "final" cut around 15 times as each time I'd have something else "go wrong" with sections I'd considered fine and sorted eg some fades would "flash". I'm at the point I can't do any final colour corrections or sharpening at all on the clip as per #1 and #5. The effects just don't work. I sadly had to put the final render through Vegas to get my final result. I even dragged the full length into KDENlive and the effects just blank out.

FWIW I use, speed, volume, normalise and fades.

Please if you can help I'd really appreciate it, even with just some of the points above.
dft
Registered Member

Re: Need help to fix my project

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am
So to add to the above. I can confirm that final renders DO use proxies. This IMO is a bug and sucks big time. See #3.

I got my project to render on my workstation by coping the .cache/kdenlive folder from my laptop to workstation. You would think that it would just "recreate" or not need the proxies for a final render. Without copying the folder it would also bugger up all the clips with the speed plugin on. This is scary as once I'm done with a render I plan on deleting the cache surely... :o

My raw footage I keep should I in future want to change something but to keep proxies and cache (8GB+) makes no sense. Yet...clearly the project wants or else.

This hasn't fixed the other plugins though. They are still broken.