This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Side by side placement of 2 mobile phone screencast

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bdutta
Registered Member
Hi,

Fairly new to kdenlive, but I have tried to do some research before coming here to ask for help.
For instance, I have watched the following tutorial video to understand how I can place 2 videos side-by-side.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOuqPDTT6Q

However, in that case, AFAIK the videos were already in an aspect ratio (and size) matching the final video's profile settings. In my case, the 2 source videos are mobile phone screen-casts, and I would like to place them at an absolute location on the screen (video frame), with some empty black space between them and the border of the screen. The source videos are in 9:16 aspect ratio, and smaller than output video profile's frame size, so fitting 2 of them side by side won't be an issue.

However, once Kdenlive loads my source videos, it treats them as 16:9 full screen videos. Not what I was expecting, and thus the method of compositing and then using 'position + zoom effect' to place the videos next to each other, is not working. I have tried using 18.04.1 and 17.08.1.

Any help or guidance to get the project going would be super helpful.

thanks,
BD

Last edited by bdutta on Sat May 19, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Make sure the project has the final needed output size.
I don’t need the composite step. Just drag and drop the video onto the time line above each other and use the Positon and Zoom effect. If you like black border you put them side by side with a bit smaller than 50% each.
bdutta
Registered Member
Thanks, that hint worked like a charm. In my case, indeed there was no need for compositing.