This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Render a vertical video.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ReonPG
Registered Member
OS

Render a vertical video.

Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm
I'm trying to render a video vertically without black bars, I tried a custom profile with a custom resolution (1920:5000) but that didn't work it was still giving me a 16:9 aspect ratio video.
I have a work I must deliver in 5 days, I need to edit this urgently! :'(
jpasturel
Registered Member

Re: Render a vertical video.

Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 pm
You can use pan and zoom effect (keyframed), but you will lost a part of the frame
ReonPG
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 27, 2018 8:49 pm
Yeah but then I'd be losing some of the quality of my vertical images, because i'd be saving them in fullHD so they'd be very small with big black bars and then i'd zoom in on them. So they pretty much lose their fullHD quality.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 28, 2018 6:19 am
ReaonPG, there is a simple rule in making movies: You cannot losslessly render what you did not record. You have recorded 1080 pixels horizontally and you cannot make them 1920 without zooming in and cutting a huge amount of the pixels vertically.

You have still a choice if you want recorded 9:16 material to show 16:9 without bars.

1. Choice: Render to something like 1080x610 (I guess both values must be multiples of 4) without zooming in. That will give you the best quality and of cource you will lose some 1300 pixels vertically of your original image. If you watch the result on full screen it will be zommed by your player or TV to give the correct resolution (HD, 4k) without black bars. Usually TVs do that very well if the input is crisp and with reasonable bitrate.

2. Choice: Render to 1920x1080 using the zoom effect (this will also cut most of your stuff vertically). So, this time you do the zooming and the player/TV can play it as it is. This will give you more control over the final result if played in HD.
markoc
Registered Member

Mon May 28, 2018 2:11 pm
What is the format of your input material?
Was it shot vertically? (With a telephone?)
How is it recognized when played with VLC, Mplayer etc? (Start from console and check the output)

If it was shot vertically, but is played horizontally, maybe try this:

Make a 1920x1920 profile
Import the video
rotate it
render (losless if desired)
Make a 1080x1920 profile
import the rendered video and stretch if needed

Haven;t tried it, but might work.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 30, 2018 11:02 pm
I suggest a "layered" effect: put both videos on separate timelines. Apply the zoom and pan effect to one and zoom in until it fills the entire screen. Apply a blur effect and select the blur amount so that one can still kinda see what is happening (if you wish). Apply any transition (affine?) that shows the blurred video where the vertical one would have the black bars on either side.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.