This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing Directory Backup Name Made Project Monitor Inop.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tonyawards
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm rather new to kdenlive and have come across a path and backup issue (I think):

I was attempting to archive a main directory in my laptop in order to create a periodic dated back up sequence, so I changed its name. All my kdenlive files were inside this particular directory. Now my kdenlive files no longer have had their video and audio tracks viewable together and the project preview no longer plays both video and audio at once. I can see and play the video clip/s, and I can see and hear the audio, but cannot play them both in the project preview as before. The project monitor just stays white. That part seems a bit similar to this thread * viewtopic.php?f=265&t=152749 * but I am having other issues as well.

I expect that the directory name change messed up the path somehow - as I now (too late...) understand it the default location for all the additional files is in the .cache directory in my /home. I had not chosen any other place as I created each kdenlive project. I also had not yet archived the kdenlive files for moving, nor had I actually moved anything.

But now, after I changed the directory name back to its original name, the kdenlive files still do not have the audio and video viewable together when I open and play them. Even projects I did not open while the name was changed. All the project monitors just show a silent white screen when I try to play them. Have I permanently messed up the path, or...?

However - I just noticed that if I render a test output mp4 file from a project, it does create a correct output with synched audio and video as before...

So, a few questions:

- How can I fix this so that all my old clips will be sequenced inside kdenlive and viewable together in the project monitor as before for additional project editing etc? Is there a way inside kdenlive to do this, or will I have to redo all these?
- Is there any other safe way to move kdenlive files to another computer, USB drive, etc without having to archive each one? I cannot just grab the directory they are all in and copy it over, can I? I need to store backups frequently, and am also in transition from one computer to another, yet want to continue work on some files.
- If I archive these kdenlive files now with the clips not showing together in the monitor, they are just going to open elsewhere in the same state, right?
- If I decide to create a library directory for all my kdenlive files and clips. where will that be stored and how do I bring that along with all my project files etc?

Thanks for any help you can point me to.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Changing directories is always a problem (not only in Kdenlive).
- Try under Project -> Locate Clip / reload Clip.
- Try CTRL+SHIFT+, -> Project Defaults -> Custom project folder.
tonyawards
Registered Member
Locate and reload clip are both useful here, thanks for that. I have also taken to archiving all my files as I need to bring them to other computers and it seems the easiest way to gather all relevant data, as well as generating safety backups.
Thanks for the tips.