This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Long time kdenlive user - my experience

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
checkup
Registered Member
Hi,

since i'm a long time kdenlive user, i wanted to share my experiences with the software and the way how i am using it.

First off, here's my latest edit (warning. it's a little boring..) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQP7LPhjXc

So i've been using kdenlive on windows for some time now. I never was able to build my own so i was depending on the beta builds provided by the team. The windows version had/has all sorts of problems, but i was able to complete a hand full of edits with the 17.x builds.

Now i have switched to 18.04.01d and since i'm using slow motion and proxy clips a lot, the windows version doesn't really play along very good so i edit my stuff on linux now.

The way i work with the software is mostly via the timeline. I pull src clips down to the timeline and cut them to my needs. What i _love_ is the way you can add dissolve transitions and fade in and out with just a few simple clicks. This is just so intuitive! What i also love is the way the effects are making use of key frames and how this feels nearly unison across all effects.

I have a lot of different sources and the linux version seems to swallow all of them just fine.

Now to the list of stuff that i love in kdenlive:
* The ability to read all sorts of formats
* The way you can edit via the timeline. This just gets out of the way and lets you do your work!
* The seamless way of previewing your clips and putting them in your project
* The histograms. I love em!
* The flexibility of the workbench.
* The many different output formats and settings. ( Great!)
* You got rid of some of the most annoying bugs in 18.04.01. Especially the "dangling transitions and 1-frame clips you cannot delete in timeline". Hated that one.
* Aligning audio to audio reference. If it works, it works well. If not, it crashes kdenlive completely :)
* and lots lots more.

The stuff that i would like to be better:
* Color correction. I assume this would be a rather low hanging fruit. Right now, i always look with envy towards products like Premiere where this seems to be much easier. Especially stuff like micro contrast, saturation, contrast or "warmer/colder". For premiere users, it feels like using rawtherapee. Just with video.
* The stabilizer is still giving me headaches since i don't get what all the parameters do :)
* If the windows version would be more stable, your user base would rise steeply. At least i think so :)
* Changing the fps of an existing project. If you do that now, your project is basically trash afterwards.
* Masking, Rotoscoping and motion tracking. I know this stuff is hard...
* The default folder for proxy clips, etc. should be inside the "project folder". I know that workflows differ, but for "prosumer" workflows, i like to put all my project stuff into one folder. The stills, stabilized clips, etc. should all end up in that folder in different subfolders.
* The handling and the possibilities with title clips. They are very basic with what you can do with them.

To sum it all up:

Overall, with the linux version: It crashes on me from time to time, yes. But i consider it quite stable. I compared kdenlive to openshot and some others half a year ago. In my opinion, they don't even come close to kdenlive. Kdenlive is outright "welcoming" to the user. You don't have to fight against the interface all the time. Kdenlive doesn't dumb down the interface to make it "more easy" which is a good thing.

Thanks to all people contributing to the project and giving their free time to create such a great piece of open source software!
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS
I agree, but I'll add that add other projects inside "Bin" folder is fantastic. It simplify a lot working with several projects based on same template.
On the other hand, I miss the ability to work with text in "text clips" with distinct font sizes in the same text object.