This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video thumbnails in timeline

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robertseetzen
Registered Member
OS

Video thumbnails in timeline

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:24 am
Hello,

is there a way to configure Kdenlive to show thumbnails throughout the whole timeline? Not only the for the first and the last frame? I know that this works in maximum "zoomed in" view, but I would love to have a full thumbnail view in every zoom level. This would make finding the relevant scenes really much easier.

Thanks!
Merlimau
Registered Member

Re: Video thumbnails in timeline

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 pm
Do you have which Kdenlive version? Try the latest stable AppImage. I’m not sure if the latest version has this feature. Otherwise you can try 18.08.Beta 18 AppImage.
robertseetzen
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am
I just tried 18.08 Beta, but it still only shows thumbnails for the first and the last frame.
And there seems to be a regression: The thumbnail preview for each single frame in "full zoom" view is gone.
But thanks for your proposal anyway!
Merlimau
Registered Member

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 pm
You are right. Only 2 or all thumbnails are displayed. This would be worth a feature request. Wouldn’t be?
robertseetzen
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:11 am
Yes, at least to my opinion.
But I had to learn that, very different from what I expected, even many of the most professional video editors only show the first and the last frame in the timeline.
I really don't understand this because I think that the benefits of a completely "illustrated" timeline would by far exceed the work of implementing this. I consider a better, faster, easier navigation just to be ... better?

Anyway: I never made a feature request for KDE software - where is the place to do that?

Btw.: I'm not that often at my PC this time, so please excuse my late replies.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:58 am
I can do a feature request like that:

Continuous Video Thumbnails depending on height and zoom of the timeline:

Add a setting in each video track to determine the number of video thumbnails showing up in each clip.
- show first (first frame of the clip on the beginning of each clip)
- show first and last (first and last frame of the clip on the beginning and the end of each clip)
- show frames (continuous video thumbnails)
- show name only

The number of frames displayed should be depending on the selected height of the video track and the zoom of the timeline.
- The height of the video track determines the number of the thumbnails displayed: the height of the video track is the height of the video thumbnail.
o Smallest video track (min. height of the video track) showing most frames
o Highest video track (max. height of the video track) showing fewest frames.

Is that what you like?
robertseetzen
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:58 am
Cool. That's perfect.

It took a moment until I understood the connection between track height and number of thumbs, but then I found that this is quite self-explanatory. Bigger thumbnails do of course need more room (width) when they become larger on Y while the aspect ratio is retained.

Perhaps one more note for the developers: To decide which frames to show, one might use the time codes at the top of the timeline. Frame thumbs could be aligned in a way that they match the left border of each of the time codes.
If, due to the aspect ratio of the clip, the next time code is shown further to the right than the thumbnails right border, simply leave a blank space. Since the time codes in Kdenlive are already placed in a manner that almost fits typical aspect ratios, there shouldn't be too much whitespace.

Uh, difficult to explain what I mean. Is it understandable? Perhaps to not discourage the developers from implementing this, it might be better to not add this to your description.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your support and initiative!
Merlimau
Registered Member

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:01 am
added to the wishlist: https://phabricator.kde.org/T9283
robertseetzen
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:25 am
Excellent. Thanks a lot! I'll check the page from time to time to see if a developer is asking for more details or something alike.
jbm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:52 pm
Thanks for your suggestions. I updated the task with some questions and progress info, please leave some feedback:
https://phabricator.kde.org/T9283
Merlimau
Registered Member

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm
Implemented. Thanks Jean-Baptiste