This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDEnlive ruined my project after crash. (project file saved)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fsckdsk
Registered Member
I have saved my Project file properly.

Unfortunately, KDEnlive is not quite Vegas, so it is prone to crashing.

If I add too many layers of text, it crashes.

But once, it crashed when I tried to extend the Audio clip, while I was pulling.

After restarting and opening the Project file, everything was scrambled.

Some Clips were in the Project twice, everything was moved out of order, and some clips even disappeared.

Why did that happen? I saved properly and it never happened before.
fsckdsk
Registered Member

Betrayed

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 am
I must say, honestly, I feel betrayed by KDEnlive.
I put work into a project, and KDEnlive just tosses it into the trash due to bogus saving.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Do you have "active crash recovery (auto save)" enabled? Hit CTRL+SHIFT+ -> misc.

If yes you could try to take the auto saved file.
If not eneble that feature.
ttguy
OS
Yep. This sort of stuff happens every now and again in Kdenlive. I tend to save my projects with incremental file names as I work on them so I can go back to a last known good one. Sucks that sometimes this is necessary. :(

I have also had occasion where an apparently corrupted project file would open fine if I closed out of Kdenlive completely and then re-open the project.

Those that feel let down by Kdenlive can ask for a refund of the price they paid for it though ;-)
fsckdsk
Registered Member
ttguy wrote:ask for a refund

Give me back my 0,00 (same in any currency) immediately! ;D
fsckdsk
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Do you have "active crash recovery (auto save)" enabled? Hit CTRL+SHIFT+ -> misc.

If yes you could try to take the auto saved file.
If not eneble that feature.

Yes, it was saved properly. But corrupted after opening.
KDEnlive admitted it modified the project with a pop-up while loading the project file.
fsckdsk
Registered Member
ttguy wrote:Yep. This sort of stuff happens every now and again in Kdenlive. I tend to save my projects with incremental file names as I work on them so I can go back to a last known good one. Sucks that sometimes this is necessary. :(

I have also had occasion where an apparently corrupted project file would open fine if I closed out of Kdenlive completely and then re-open the project.

Thank you for being able to relate.

I am not the only one ;)
Merlimau
Registered Member
No you are not the only one.

Open the project again. Click restore (think twice) and close Kdenlive without saving. Start Kdenlive and open the project. It should load. I think this recovery works only with version 17.12 or newer.
farid
Registered Member
OS
"Ruined" projects also known as timeline corruptions happen when using the speed effect or sometimes moving many clips at once... the team is fixing this issues in the refactoring branch. To avoid that stuff I stopped using the speed effect and paid more attention when moving clips around.

fsckdsk
Registered Member

KDEnVegas

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 pm
farid wrote:"Ruined" projects also known as timeline corruptions happen when using the speed effect or sometimes moving many clips at once... the team is fixing this issues in the refactoring branch. To avoid that stuff I stopped using the speed effect and paid more attention when moving clips around.

I see.
I used speed in some different projects, but nothing haopened. I wonder how speed can relate to wrecked video projects.

But I must say, for a $0.00 program, KDEnlive is not bad. Blender, FlightGear and InkScape however are more stamina and sophisticated, that they are sufficient alternatives to proprietary (and free versions often adware-filled) in many cases.

KDEnlive however is very feature-rich, yet not stamina enough (although much better than OpenShot, which focuses on simplicity) alternative to something like Vegas.

Vegas also has easier, more intuitive fading, volume setting, stretching controls and that "F" thing which helps cropping, rotating, moving, etc. .

KDENLIVE already has cropping, helpful tooltips and similar, but one needs to dig into menus deeply, like on CamStudio options. And it can not compete with Vegas's F.