This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Question about MLT versions, installation, etc.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
frewfrew
Registered Member
Hello,

Windows 10 (1709)
Kdenlive 18.04.1
MLT version 6.7.0 (noticed this at Help> About Kdenlive)

Just curious. New to these things.
I'm wondering if there's any advantage to using the latest
MLT - v6.8.0 (released May 10, 2018)
https://www.mltframework.org/blog/v6.8.0_released/

Might it be a good idea for me to get that version 6.8.0?
And if so, how do I install that MLT for Kdenlive to use?

Could it create problems? I mean, maybe I should stay with the
MLT version that came with the latest Windows release of Kdenlive?

Everything seems to be working fine.

Just wondering if there may be some advantages of the
6.8.0 version of MLT that I may not be aware of.

Thanks for any ideas.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Don’t do that. Take the latest Windows version (18.04.1d) from here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 1d-w64.zip.

Next update should come with MLT 6.10.0. Be aware that all Windows version have the start/stop bug. If playing doesn’t work anymore hit CTRL+space and click with the mouse into the timeline the position you want.
frewfrew
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Don’t do that. Take the latest Windows version (18.04.1d) from here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 1d-w64.zip.

Next update should come with MLT 6.10.0.

Yes, I already had that Kdenlive version up and running.
I'll follow your advice to not separately get and install the MLT.
Curious about perhaps what one reason for not doing that might be.

Also, now that you mention it, any idea when the next Windows version may be?

Merlimau wrote:Be aware that all Windows version have the start/stop bug. If playing doesn’t work anymore hit CTRL+space and click with the mouse into the timeline the position you want.

Thank you for that info.
Just a note, Ctrl+Space here plays the from zone start before I can do the mouseclick.
Also just noticed that works with just Space and click with mouse into the timeline. (no need for Ctrl)
Same thing works here with L key and click with mouse into the timeline.

Thanks again for the ideas.
gpelloux
Registered Member
Hello
I am a new Kdenlive user.
I installed the latest version (18.04.1d-w64) under windows10, and I have a major problem with the use of effects.
When I use the "Add effect to selected clip" command, no dialog box for setting the parameters is displayed.
However, the elements of the FFmepg library seem to be present in the folder Bin ...
Could you advise me?
I would like to make Kdenlive my favorite tool for video editing ...
Thank you...
Merlimau
Registered Member
frewfrew wrote:Curious about perhaps what one reason for not doing that might be.

MLT updates have to need sometimes some code update in Kdenlive itself to work proper together.

frewfrew wrote:o, now that you mention it, any idea when the next Windows version may be?

Version 18.08 is on the way and should be released as windows version this month. Some bug fixes.
The major refactoring update will come later. Maybe December?
Merlimau
Registered Member
gpelloux wrote:When I use the "Add effect to selected clip" command, no dialog box for setting the parameters is displayed.

Make sure you see the properties of the clip: top menu -> view -> hook “properties”. Then a new window appears and you see the effects which are on each clip.

If this is not working: Try drag and drop the effect direct on the clip. Does this work?
If this is not working try to update your graphic card driver to the latest available.
gpelloux
Registered Member
thank you Merlimau ... The choice "Properties" of the menu View was well checked, but the window was not visible.
Deselecting and ticking again revealed the window containing the effects.
I tried to reproduce what could be an error by closing this window to check the state of the submenu "Property", but it has well changed state at closing. I do not understand what could have happened, but the main thing is now to better control the environment ...
thank you very much
gpelloux
Registered Member
hello, another little problem bothering me ...
I would like to add a Slideshow Clip.
A window appears in which I choose a directory "Photos" present at the top of the root of my disk D, containing jpg files.
The validation results in an "invalid clip" error window, which gives the following path "D: /Photos\.all.jpg"
I tried to reduce the number of photos in the folder, but that does not change anything.
I do not know if it's a problem of configuration or an error on my part.
If you had a tip, I'm interested!
Regards,
Gerard
Merlimau
Registered Member
looks similar to that: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=153464#p402161

Solution: Do you have set the project settings before you put in the first JPG into the bin? Project –> project settings -> I set it to “HD 1080p 50 fps”.
gpelloux
Registered Member
the project is set in HD 1080p 30 fp and not in HD 1080p 50 fp because I chose the native recording frequency of the video. Normally this should not be part of the import process ...
I have no problem importing a photo into the project. But I thought that the Sideshow Clip function would allow a batch import to avoid importing images one by one into a Bin folder.
Is it possible ?
I may be too demanding ...
Merlimau
Registered Member
Ah I see this seems the “add Slidshow clip” is not working under windows. I got the same error as you. Have to import via drag/drop. See: viewtopic.php?f=270&t=143193&hilit=%26amp%3Bquot%3Badd+Slidshow+clip%26amp%3Bquot%3B
gpelloux
Registered Member
ok, Merlimau ....
Thank you for spending time on this feature. I spent time looking for if it came from the location of the folder containing the images ...
By cons, I do not understand the solution "Drag and Drop" that you suggest. Indeed, all the power and interest of the "add Slideshow clip" feature is to import a whole set of images at once, and to automate the display sequence.
But since I have only been using Kenlive for a few days, I have not done the trick yet!
In my first post on the subject (Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 am), I noted the path "D: /Photos \.all.jpg" because it seemed to me curious, a mix of windows and Unix
Merlimau
Registered Member
Sorry I was not precise. “add Slidshow clip” is not working under windows. I get the same error as you: "* \.all.jpg". This is the reason why I make the link to the topic “kedenlive file ordering, slideshow“ where Vpinon explained about.

Workaround: Select all your clips in the folder and put it into the bin via drag/drop. In the bin you can sort the clip i.e. according the name. Then select all clips in the bin and drag/drop it into the timeline and they get in line as you sorted it in the bin (i.e. according the name).
gpelloux
Registered Member
Your message was clear, Merlimau, I did like that ...
I had specified the way in case that would have brought an interesting precision, but it was useless since you had made the test ...
gpelloux
Registered Member
Hello
I am disturbed, with the impression of following a treasure hunt ... As soon as I cross a stage, I find myself faced with new problems on which I spend time before calling for help on this forum (maybe in the wrong place?).
I can put an effect on a clip, but the result obtained via its setting is difficult to manage.
For example :
+ the parameters Color => LumaLiftGainGamma, none of the 3 parameters has any effect on the clip
+ Color => Saturation transforms the color in the same way into grayscale regardless of the chosen threshold; and using the Split Compare function causes a Kdenlive crash.

I thought that in those cases, it was better to use Color Correction.
But Color Correction => RGB Adjust works erratically: modifying the value of R crashe Kdelive once in 2, and the "Split Compare" function causes a systematic crash.

I guess the version running on Linux is more operational than the one on Windows. But it seems irrelevant to change the OS so far ...
Should I persist, is there something I do not understand about using kdenlive, I do not know ...