This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

NVidia Nvenc Rendering not working?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mattp12
Registered Member
OS

NVidia Nvenc Rendering not working?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am
Apologies if this forum would not be the correct place to ask this.

I followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14GvmBpq08&t=446s tutorial on how to enable NVidia Nvenc rendering for Kdenlive, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I am using Windows 10 and I have an NVidia GTX 960M. The person who made the tutorial uses Linux, but I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work on Windows.

The GPU utilization in task manager for the NVidia GPUnever goes above 0%. However, the utilization for the Intel Integrated Graphics is usually at around 1-5%. I don't see why this happens. The GPU utilization for the person making the tutorial goes to around 40% when rendering, and mine never budges above 0%.

Edit: While using the Nvenc profile, the CPU fan is much quieter than it was compared to when I was using the MP4 profile. I don't see why this is the case because task manager says that the GPU utilization is 0% and yet the CPU utilization is around 20% while rendering with the Nvenc profile.

Could anybody shed some light on why this would be the case and how I could remedy this?
Merlimau
Registered Member
I’m not sure if GPU acceleration works in Kdenlive for Windows. Just a guess: in the timeline -> top left icon: set it from High-Quality to normal or none and try again. This switches from QT to MLT graphic processing.

BTW which Kdenlive version do you use?
mattp12
Registered Member
OS
Merlimau wrote:I’m not sure if GPU acceleration works in Kdenlive for Windows. Just a guess: in the timeline -> top left icon: set it from High-Quality to normal or none and try again. This switches from QT to MLT graphic processing.

BTW which Kdenlive version do you use?

I would have tried rendering again, but when I opened up Kdenlive again, it showed an "unsupported video codec" error. This confuses me because wouldn't it have said this the first time I would have tried to render something using the GPU? Maybe the error messages update after you close and reopen Kdenlive?

I am using version 18.04.1.

Do you know if simply replacing the ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe, and melt files in the Kdenlive folder with the Shotcut ones would do anything?

Do you know of anything I could try?

Edit: From my original post and how I said the fan wasn't as loud as it was when I was using the MP4 profile- I think the reason for this was that, for some reason, the rendered file was audio only, so it required less CPU power.