This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[resolved] Incorrect render (squashed, letterboxed)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
daveriedstra
Registered Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to render a video with the following settings:
Frame Rate: 29.97
Frame size: 1920x1080
Pixel aspect: 1.000
Pixel format: yuvj420p
Video codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 ...

These settings are consistent between the source clips, the project setting, and the render settings. The resulting render is 1920x1080 but the video is squashed vertically and the leftover space on the left and right is filled with black bars (letterboxed vertically).

I've used source files from the same camera and rendered to the same target settings before no problem, which makes me think it's a bug somewhere or a buried setting. Can anyone help?

FWIW, running Ubuntu 18.04.1 and Kdenlive 17.12.3.

Thanks!

[edit: sorry, this was an error in what I was using to preview the videos.]
aFLex
Registered Member
Hi, All!
I want to reveal 'ONE BIG SECRET' of the greatest software - Kdenlive ;D
It is related to the Software Version somebody used for Video editing and final
Rendering.
It was very surprising for me to reveal that from one kdenlive version to anothe
r there could be significantly different in FINAL RENDERING result!
Firstly I made my project (12 Video in muted sound and 1 Audio tracks with mainl
y a lot Affine transformation keyframes for each Video resulting in smooth trans
itions between frames) in version 16.12.2 of Kdenlive (MLT version 6.5.0, FFmpeg
libraries). Firstly that software version was downloaded from official kdenlive
.org site once a day some very long time ago when I had a problem with a precise
clip cut&paste functioning in Kdenlive. Next time I had loaded that working Kde
nlive-project on another PC into most probably 17.04.x Debian testing software v
ersion (however the same worst effect has another one 17.08.0 Kdenlive version,
MLT version 6.4.1) and resulted in quite different Final Rendered MPEG4 (H264) v
ideo file. It was different not only in final file size but mainly in picture-fr
ame sequence to audio track speed accordance when viewed....
* * *https://yadi.sk/i/dKSnMEq7ksXuRQ* * *
[I was used 4 different clips to compare, first one is official flashmob routine
, second and fourth one is slightly different in affine-cross transitions on 12
video tracks. And third one is 17.08.0 Kdenlive software version rendering of th
e same project with a bit more corrected affine transitions]
So I think one should be very carefully and critically treating its own lacks in
video-mastering when used unverified Kdenlive version.