This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why such a inactive bug reporting system?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ADepic
Registered Member
Having a look at the bugtracker - most bugs are never discussed, or even if they are, most of the time devs of kdenlive do not respond. There seems to be no milestoning, and there seems to be a slow rate of solving. In September around 10 bugs seem to be fixed (RESOLVED + FIXED) and some of them by a mlt upgrade.

Why is this? I really like kdenlive, but I find it to be unstable and often times buggy. It would be good if maybe a few more devs worked on kdenlive or maybe issues were organised better :) .

Currently is seems as if reporting a bug has no effect
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,

I agree, the situation makes me sad too.
Kdenlive is lacking developers for years: JB has always been writing most of the code, with help from others from time to time (sometimes important contributions over some months).

For more than 1 year now, he has put almost all of his efforts in rewriting old over-complicated code, starting from the timeline but spreading everywhere, and with such a focus the attention to the "stable" codebase dropped significantly.

On my side, I have given my limited spare time to the Windows builds, and now focusing on Craft build system so that other newcomers can more easily set up dev environment on any system (to catch Windows & Mac people), but I also don't take much time to switch to bug analysis.

So we have a problem of manpower, focus & organization, that makes bug reporters experience frustrating.
Sorry for that, I hope the situation will improve soon, once refactoring will be stabilized & build system rolling.

Regards,
Vincent
ADepic
Registered Member
What about new devs? Is no one else interested in developing for kdenlive?

I think a big problem is that there is no way to donate to kdenlive, only to kde overall. Donating to kde comparatively little to support the project.

From what I have seen github (and gitlab) bug tracking systems seem a lot more organized then kde's bugtracking system. What is your opinion on this