This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Playback stuttering on Ubuntu but not on Windows - dual boot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
danielhe
Registered Member
Hi guys,

My laptop is set up to dual boot windows 10 x64 and ubuntu 18.04 x64. I installed Kdenlive on both windows (Kdenlive-18.08.2-w64) and ubuntu (from Software Centre 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1).

I tried to edit some videos from a gopro (2704 × 1520, H.265 (Main Profile), 120 frames per second, 60848 kbps). In Ubuntu the playback stutters a lot and as far as I can see the graphics drivers are all installed correctly. I have tried with and without GPU processing checked - same problem. In windows kdenlive the playback does not have any stuttering.

I want to move fully to linux, but this stuttering is a problem and I'd rather not use proxy clips as they take a while to create and I know that the laptop is capable (if it works on the windows version).

Any ideas how I can resolve the stuttering problem on ubtuntu? Many thanks for any help in advance.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello
There have been upgrades un 18.08.3 you might want to test on Linux: use AppImage or ppa ?
Merlimau
Registered Member
This is an interesting setup. You try with heavy stuff ;-) (2704 × 1520, H.265, 120 fps, 60848 kbps). Update the graphic driver on Ubuntu (Nvidia?).

Just a side note: Kdenlive project files issued on Linux doesn’t run under Windows. The other way around I have not tested (would be interesting to know if it’s working).
danielhe
Registered Member
I tried the latest AppImage and still had the same problem.

In the system info on Ubuntu it says that the graphics are the intel integrated kind so I don't think Nvidea drivers are the problem here:

Memory: 15.4 GiB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)

Any other ideas?
Merlimau
Registered Member
Try to update the Intel graphic driver on Ubuntu 18.04. See here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1065852 ... ics-driver. On the Windows side you can run either the Nvidia or the Intel graphic but I don’t can choose.
danielhe
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Try to update the Intel graphic driver on Ubuntu 18.04. See here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1065852 ... ics-driver. On the Windows side you can run either the Nvidia or the Intel graphic but I don’t can choose.

Thanks for the replies, I tried this and it didnt seems to make a difference either. Tried it on both the AppImage and the Kdenlive in Ubuntu's software centre.

Anything else I can try? I woulndt mind using proxy clips if I knew the laptop couldnt handle it, but the fact that its playing back on windows on the same laptop is quite frustrating.
Merlimau
Registered Member
I assume on Windows you use the Nvidia GPU and on Linux the Intel GPU, and the Nvidia is quicker, that’s why the difference in performance. As I said, interesting setup to test both.