This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Speed effect disappearing clips and logo overlay questions.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
anget
Registered Member
Hi all,

So where to start. I'm running Linux Mint with kdevlive appimage, version 18.08.2.

Let me just say that I've started with version 18 so not sure about the previous versions but looking around looks like the problem is still there.

1) Speed disappearing clips
So, I do a lot of cuts which results in having in timeline clips that are 1 second long combined with I don't know let's say 30 minutes clips, times of clips vary. One timeline can have about 50 such clips, all different lengths.

So, if I want to speed up the video, whole timeline, I need to add Speed effect to each clip and then move the whole timeline back and go to the next clip and repeat.. really fun work. ;) Now the problem comes in, sometimes when I add a Speed effect on a clip (happens both ways by copy/paste effect or by dragging it from the list), the clip basically disappears, it is shown in timeline but only as one frame. The video on the clip before this one becomes black. Currently when I apply the Speed effect to the clip, I check that it is not one frame and previous video is not black then I save the project. Making the mistake of hitting save after the clip goes weird means basically starting all over really as there is no way to save that clip.

I usually apply between 500 to 800% speed, yes, I lower that on smaller clips else there would be no frames left really. :) Tested with smaller speed % and the result is the same.

Why is this happening?

Note, this happens on random clips of all lengths. Really annoying.

On the topic of Speed effect, why is it not possible to add the effect to the timeline and it would resize all clips one by one? Imaging having 100 cuts and you want to make a speedy version of the video, 100 copy/paste on each clip plus the restarts.

2) Logo overlay
Again, imagine having 50 clips in 5 timelines, how can I add overlay logo on timeline 6 above all of them and apply it to any timeline below? Do only way I can do it now is to add logo image ABOVE each clip and add Composite to it. That would mean adding image above each of the 50 clips and adding Composite to it.

Am I doing something wrong here with overlay?

I'm in love with kdenlive as it is simple yet powerful but this two things are just...
Merlimau
Registered Member
Just a short answer: Its seems like https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369585: „AFAIK, the current code base is not maintained so this bug will not get a fix. After the timeline refactoring is finished, the devs will introduce a rewritten speed effect fixing all these issues.”