This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Chroma Keying is difficult to get right. Enlighten me

Tags: chroma key, effects chroma key, effects chroma key, effects
(comma "," separated)
khophi
Registered Member
TLDR;
I want to get Chroma Keying in kdenlive right. Can't seem to get it. I believe i'm not doing something right, except I can't find any solution. I do chroma key in Lightworks (or lightworks allows me to do clean chroma key in under 5 seconds). With kdenlive, it's like the russian roulette every single try; I never know what I'm getting, and it's never right.

Long story:

I know to add the Chroma Key in kdenlive, but I don't think that's all needed.

Same footage, I got this result in Lightworks, under 5 seconds: https://imgur.com/a/QYtNO4B
In Kdenlive, I get this: https://imgur.com/a/O7I4wlF (not sure how to describe the results)

What am I not doing? What other effects do I need to put on?

Initially, I thought my greenscreen wasn't well lit. But lighworks works with it flawlessly. Kdenlive can do better than what I currently I'm able to achieve. Will appreciate any insights
Merlimau
Registered Member
The green-screen should be OK. What I see in your screen-shot that the green is to dark. You can try the following:

Take the color picker and draw up a square in the green-screen area. Then it takes a more average of the green color.
khophi
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:You can try the following:

Take the color picker and draw up a square in the green-screen area. Then it takes a more average of the green color.

Now that's something I didn't know could be done, drawing a square for a larger area of selection.

Using the selection approach gives much closer to useful results. Any more tips?
Merlimau
Registered Member
You can only try to find a “good color zone” by draw up as square and adjust with the Variance. Yes, it’s limited.

The chroma key in Lightworks is much more advanced.
Merlimau
Registered Member
An additional hint: You can stagger/stack Chroma Key. Apply a second Chroma key to fetch a slightly different color.